View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Station ID 1:2186D440.4 Redding, CA, US 

For the 2nd time in the last 2 days my station has disappeared from the NETC map even though no reason for this is apparent.

I connect with a Radalert Inspector that I ordered in kit form from International Medcom, Sebastopol, CA. It has a pulse data port which I've connected to a GQ Tool-081 USB interface connected to a workstation running Windows XP Pro. My ISP is AT&T through a Uverse modem/router. I operate a computer service business here so equipment and access is never an issue.

This morning after I found my station inactive I attempted to restore it by rebooting the computer then re-launching the monitor software which reloaded the log and continued logging the CPM values through the USB interface but still there was no-show on the map. I would appreciate any feedback on what may be at issue so I can return Redding, CA to active status.

Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:44 pm

After taking my station down for a full day and receiving no response or comments I decided to move my Geiger Counter / USB to serial adapter to another workstation PC and start fresh with the most recent driver and NETC server software. The new station I.D.:
Station ID 1:54503030.3 Redding, CA, US

My first experience with interfacing the Radalert Inspector Geiger Counter with the GQ Tool-081 USB to serial adapter was a bit rough. I needed to reverse the tip and ring polarity in order to get any detection counts at all and after observing missing pulse counts occurring during rapid succession detections I added a 220k resistor across the detector output cable to counter a rising baseline DC voltage. Thereafter there have been no anomalies except the inexplicable drop from the map mentioned above. Hopefully moving the setup to a different PC will eliminate that problem in the future. I have ordered a GQ GMC200 which I plan to replace the Radalert and use a small diameter forced air duct to enable the outside air sampling. I will continue using the Radalert as a stand-alone reference to compare the CPM readings for accuracy verification.

Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:02 am

Today 2014/12/11 2:50 recorded a false reading of 85 CPM due to a bit of corrosion in data jack of counter. Applied some Caig DeoxIT to the plug which took care of the problem.

Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:55 am

Today, 2014/12/15 @ 17:15 I have replaced the Radalert Inspector with a GQ GMC-200 Geiger Muller Counter interfaced to a Windows XP Pro computer with a Tool-081 USB to serial converter. This will increase the accuracy of beta and gamma radiation detections as some missed counts were observed with the previous setup.

In the next few days I plan to install a small diameter duct tube and fan from the outside to expose the Geiger counter to the outside air to its present location inside my shop near my workstation.

Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]