View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Station 436CACCD.5 Portland, Maine 

Hey there. My name's Andy. I came on-line yesterday. Still working the kinks out and learning the how's, what's and why's of radiation measurement and monitoring, and will be for at a minimum the next year or two. I look forward to learning from all of you.

I'm using a GMC-300Eplus tethered to a Dell laptop running the Windows 7 OS, all connected to a dual band 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz wireless network via a new TRENDset 1750ac router. I'm not a fan of either Microsoft or Windows 8. I prefer the old ways of using full text file names and extensions. On good days I'm getting combined 1.3 - 1.7 gig download transfer rates. I use InSSIDer to monitor the two bands and have yet to see another user on the 5G band. The 2.4G band is very crowded, but I employ an 80 hz pipe spanning several channels. I also use Wireshark to monitor and diagnose internet traffic.

I live in downtown Portland in a seniors complex where I'm the in-house mod for our multi-station computer room and do odd repairs for my neighbors gratis, ie electric wheelchair repair, personal computer diagnostics and virus removal, and occasional one on one coaching for those new to the world of digital computing and the internet. I try to avoid labels like "newbies" because it's important to encourage seniors with little experience to get past their initial embarrassment and fears and participate. I'm not the greatest teacher either so anything that helps them helps me.

I've worn many hats over the years, mostly related to wholesale electrical distribution design and sales and public construction. My CV and credentials are irrelevant. The only one I consider important I acquired later in life and it's related to a formal education in writing and journalism, but I don't stand on formalities and I love people who dare to flaunt convention. What matters is one's ability to express emotion and inspire passion in others, two things I've sorely lacked in my past.

I gave my truck away and motor around Portland on a 27 speed red and black recumbent trike. I rent a car from Hertz whenever I need to travel distances. I'm not trying to save the world because unfortunately I believe we may have already destroyed it. All we can do now is to mitigate the damage. I see three major storms on the current horizon. Fukushima, potable water shortages and central bank control of domestic and foreign government.

I'm not against nuclear energy per se, but it's astounding how stupid some of our past decisions have been. The very first meltdown here in the US occurred in Chatsworth, California back in the 1950's at a nuclear power plant built ten miles outside of downtown LA on top of the San Andreas Fault line. Stupid? Stupid and proud of it. Fukushima only reiterates our stupidity, but it does much more. We may have killed off half the planet. I say we. Weren't those reactors designed and built by an American company? I wrote my senators and said we need to inject ourselves immediately into resolving this and restoring sanity. Angus King did respond, basically saying it wasn't our problem. Susan Collins never responded. We can stick our noses into foreign affairs that don't concern us and which lead to war, but on foreign issues that affect us directly our leadership begs off? Fukushima is the most important issue facing all governments today, and as incredible as it may seem, we have 21 Fukushima style nuclear power plants in operation here in the United States. My statistics may be off but the gist of what these stats are telling us isn't.

Sorry for the rant. I congratulate everyone here for being far ahead of the curve while most of the rest of us slept.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:57 pm

Welcome to NETC 8-)

Your introduction and radiation station are greatly appreciated.

Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:18 am

Thanks. I've been reading some of your posts. Quite an impressive body of work you've accumulated here, KC.

Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:14 pm

Grayling Skies wrote:
Thanks. I've been reading some of your posts. Quite an impressive body of work you've accumulated here, KC.

Thank you. The time I have spent trying to educate others through the forum is nothing compared to Harlan & his team with NETC as a whole.

I wish more would appreciate it by helping to support it either by mouth, setting up a free PC station or through a paid yearly subscription.

Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:30 pm

Agreed, this has and still is an excellent site and members willing to help out. :)

Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]