View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 ID 1:EB9DF407 Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA 

Started this new thread with my station ID.

Just some background on Ottawa. I am 180 KM from Chalk River Laboratories. We are down river from this site. The Ottawa River this site sits on is about 10 km from where I live.

>>

Chalk River Laboratories (also known as CRL, Chalk River Labs and formerly Chalk River Nuclear Laboratories, CRNL) is a Canadian nuclear research facility located in Deep River, Renfrew County, Ontario, near the village of Chalk River, about 180 km (110 mi) north-west of Ottawa.

CRL is a site of major research and development to support and advance nuclear technology, in particular CANDU reactor technology. CRL has expertise in physics, metallurgy, chemistry, biology, and engineering and unique research facilities. For example, Bertram Brockhouse, a professor at McMaster University, received the 1994 Nobel Prize in Physics for his pioneering work in neutron spectrometry while at CRL from 1950-1962. Sir John Cockcroft was an early director of CRL and also a Nobel laureate. CRL produces about one-third of the world's supply of medical radioisotopes.[1] It is owned and operated by Atomic Energy of Canada Limited.
>>

This is where they create medical isotopes for the world. Chalk River was out of operation for maintenance.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ch ... -1.2437964

They started up again a few days ago.

All the people living around this site and here in Ottawa, want them to shut this plant down permanently, but the global demand for isotopes, keeps this plant running. They do a lot of maintenance on this plant, it was built in 1942.

We probably get some fallout from this plant, so keep that in mind for my counts.

Currently in SNOWY Ottawa my CPM is,,

CPM: current 11 Low 4 High 33
Average 16, Deviation 4
Average over last 10 minutes: 16

More snow on the way so far we have 15 CM on the ground.

:mrgreen: :ugeek:

Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]