View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Station ID 1:B9F93CA3.8 Evansville, Indina 

Direct link to station graph - chart members only
http://netc.com/chart/view.php?n=1%3AB9F93CA3.8

Just getting started here, I have a GMC-300E sitting in a windowsill on the NW side of my house. Attached computer is a rather generic Intel box running WinXP sp3. Net connection is WoW cable.

I've had the detector for a few weeks and have never seen anything over 25CPM, so it will be interesting to see what the longer trends look like.

Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:21 pm

My station reported readings around 140 for no good reason today. The GMC-300 screen never got above 20 while the app was reporting around 140. This persisted until I reset everything. Again, this was some kind of data error and the detector screen did not match the reported value.

Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:26 pm

timinin wrote:
My station reported readings around 140 for no good reason today. The GMC-300 screen never got above 20 while the app was reporting around 140. This persisted until I reset everything. Again, this was some kind of data error and the detector screen did not match the reported value.

Was there any chance that you might have moved the unit just before that high/false reading was received? There has been a problem pointed out with the FREE Windows software that causes a spike only after receiving a minute of missing data/connection with the unit. I believe this is what caused your problem. Please make sure to shut off the NETC program before ever touching the geiger counter. A patch to the program to correct this problem will be made in the future but again until then always make sure you shutdown the NETC software before moving the unit or its data cable.

Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:32 pm

The unit was untouched until the alarm went off. There must have been some kind of glitch, but it was not from moving the unit.

Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:32 am

timinin wrote:
The unit was untouched until the alarm went off. There must have been some kind of glitch, but it was not from moving the unit.

I own a GMC-300 myself and out of the box the connection/fit of the mini-usb data/power cable is a very poor/lose fit. The fact that your units screen did not match the readings that the software was receiving clearly means the problem was somewhere between the data out and the software, not real radiation readings. We have seen this problem before and this lose connection/data condition has already been programmed to ignore in the Raspberry Pi version of the same software. The Raspberry Pi version of the software is NOT a free version so obviously this version took priority to revise in order to ignore this condition. The free Windows PC version will be revised to ignore this condition, but I do not yet have a release date.

Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:23 am

In addition I just paid you the higher rate a week after paying you the $9 rate. I emailed you a couple of times to ask if I could upgrade or just take back my 9$ initial fee but have no responses. Please remove my paypal from your auto renewal on my $9 plan. For people who are volunteering to put up a monitoring station should be given an upgrade offer if they already were a member. Just a suggestion.

Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:02 am
Site Admin

We do not have an auto renewal plan, your PayPal will not be billed again.

Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:59 am

It is a fact (noted from the manufacturer) that these units have a problem with the voltage pot (a screw that controls voltage to the tube). You can simply turn it back (right turn) VERY GENTLY from the factory setting and turn it back to it's original place according to them. Be sure you document (smartphone photo?) the EXACT position of the screw before you start. Mark it (the EXACT position) and turn it slightly in each direction. Should work fine after that. I'd guess that dust during assembly ;-| caused the problem. This is a common problem with manufacturing and with the demand for these things right now, it's often "not so good" quality control in a rush of orders that causes this kinda thing...

You can and should average the "over time reads". Without this there is NO REAL information anyway and even if it doesn't show the true readings, it's all relative... Kinda like guitars, no 2 are the exact same. When you look at the counter GM tube, it's a string in a tube that plays a tune dependent on the "tuning" and the voltage is what tunes these things so even if yours is out of tune the "over time" data (song) will be known. In other words, don't let it stop you from gathering data! Just DON'T put it online for the facebook crowd until you have it tuned or you'll scare people. The sky is falling?

..these "overtime" reads are what really "count" anyway! Same unit, same place (location), undisturbed!!!

Relative to your location, counter and computer (and internet connection?) are the reads 1, 100, 1000? After 30 days or so (the longer the better) you should be able to actually know the decay in your area!!! if I read 10 continually and you read 3 (yea) in your area with your individual setup we may both be normal in respect to rad decay. Only way to know is to "let it play for awhile". Let me know if you see anything as I am "fighting for my grandchildren" and CAREFULLY SAVE and send your air filters to someone that can test these things for isotopes if you think there is a legitimate problem.

EXAMPLE:

Click below for a sound file of us neighbors playing "the theme song" slightly out of tune!!!

Same as the (only one) string in a GM tube playin a tune...

http://lamarsworldmall.com/music/GreatWhiteBuffalo.mp3

timinin wrote:
Direct link to station graph - chart members only
http://netc.com/chart/view.php?n=1%3AB9F93CA3.8

Just getting started here, I have a GMC-300E sitting in a windowsill on the NW side of my house. Attached computer is a rather generic Intel box running WinXP sp3. Net connection is WoW cable.

I've had the detector for a few weeks and have never seen anything over 25CPM, so it will be interesting to see what the longer trends look like.

View my other posts here:
https://www.netc.com/bb/search.php?keyw ... mit=Search

netc.com (donate will ya?)...

Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]