View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Level of Denial 

I was talking with some of my co-workers when one mentioned they were going out for sushi tomorrow. I asked if they were concerned about the potential radioactive contamination of our fish stocks by Fukishima. Well I was laughed at and told it was fairy tails. I asked why some restaurants were beginning to test the fish they purchase. Oh well, a gimick to make money. What about the different species of marine life now dying off in huge numbers. Oh that is some organism like sea lice or ISA. :shock:
Guess some people have an answer for everything and bury their heads in the sand when they don't. :(

Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:40 pm
Site Admin

Does your co-worker smoke too

Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:08 pm

She quit a long time ago. With the restrictions around federal buildings most have quit.

Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:30 pm

I got the same response from friends and co-workers, but on the flip-side, there are people crying wolf at every click of their Geiger counter. The main problem is that very few people have experience in nuclear physics, and the readily available instruments can't discern the difference of radon daughters from strontium 90.

Minute amounts of chemicals formed from dangerous isotopes far smaller than what are detectable by any typical Geiger counter pose a serious threat when ingested or inhaled. The best way to detect them is to use a liquid scintillation counter, gamma spectroscopy, or if you have 200 grand, mass spectroscopy. I went so far as to find who in my area had an accurate mass spec, and the closest place that seems accessible to the public is Stanford. I will have to vie with other physicists trying to complete their degrees to get time on the machine, but am not giving up. The only other option is to appeal to private companies like GE that also have equipment, or the EPA. I'm sure some random guy that wanted to run a mass spec all day would do great on kickstarter too. Unlike the relative ease of determining that the climate has changed over time, the equipment necessary for this cause is so cost prohibitive.

Maybe my friends and co-workers are right. It's just silly to pursue that rabbit hole, better to just let it happen.

Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:30 am

Morellio wrote:
I got the same response from friends and co-workers, but on the flip-side, there are people crying wolf at every click of their Geiger counter. The main problem is that very few people have experience in nuclear physics, and the readily available instruments can't discern the difference of radon daughters from strontium 90.

Minute amounts of chemicals formed from dangerous isotopes far smaller than what are detectable by any typical Geiger counter pose a serious threat when ingested or inhaled. The best way to detect them is to use a liquid scintillation counter, gamma spectroscopy, or if you have 200 grand, mass spectroscopy.

Even if the general public had the ability to have access to such equipment, there is no way each of us have the time needed to do such tests. I just consider everything I eat contaminated so I try to avoid foods more likely to have more contamination (milk & fish to name a few) and try to avoid food from areas known to have received more Fukushima fallout than others. Along with all of this, using my outside air purifier radiation station my family is alerted every time radiation level exceed the safe level we have selected for our family. We do not go outside during those higher level reading. Furthermore we eat better, take supplements and get our sleep to keep our immune systems up since we know radiation attacks the immune system.

We also corrected our homes high radon gas problem 8-)

Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:07 pm

I've wondered this myself about all manner of political and other (like nuclear) issues; it appears that at least 50% of the general population simply has no curiosity at all; I compare them to the saying that 'there's no difference between an illiterate person and someone who doesn't bother to read anything.' They're ignorant because it's easier and 'oh, what's on teevee tonight?' A variant of 'oooh, shiny!'

I'm 60 years in on this planet and the only conclusion I have come to on this score is 'Next Time, No Planet Earth, No Matter What The Brochures Say!'...

Besides feeling that FuKu and Dii(ichi) (how much more obvious can they get?) is a slo-mo extinction level event, I keep wondering when the wealthy on the west coast will wake up, smell the air, and decide the getting is good; when do the real estate signs start popping up more than the recent foreclosure unpleasantness would account for, and then the houses don't sell (it's hard enough to sell a $5 million house, without it being in full view of a radioactive ocean) and then they start leaving in small droves, followed by ever increasing droves... followed by an economic collapse and self-driven, then herd-mentality driven, evacuations...

Ask yourself if this is what the exiting FEMA head had in mind when she said that a 'natural disaster unlike anything the nation has ever seen' is going to happen soon, and everyone should be ready. What will this do to the astonishingly precarious economic situation the entire globe is in?

Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]