View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Android Mobile browser freezes on chart member data page 

Here lately (about 2 weeks) on my Android phone, I found when I load data charts, showing the graphed history, that my browser will freeze for upwards of 30 seconds. Any time I go back to the tab with a chart showing it will freeze again. I've tried the following browsers and it happens to all of them.

Chrome
Firefox
CM Browser
Ghostery
Default browser preloaded

I have a galaxy s5 running 4.4.4 on AT&T
I look at my charts daily multiple times and other station charts when something gets my curiosity.

I've not experienced this with other websites, nor has it happened on my desktop PC's.
Anyone else getting this behavior?

Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:20 am

I also noticed some probs with the charts as of late.

Seems that the netc.com logo is layered over the chart info so none of the popup read boxes are showing...

...Probably why you are seeing the freeze problem.

E-mail staff@netc.com and let em know.

View my other posts here:
https://www.netc.com/bb/search.php?keyw ... mit=Search

netc.com (donate will ya?)...

Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:32 pm
Server Admin

I just tried on my trusty old Kindle Fire: the default "Silk" browser shows the dreaded error message saying it wont work at all, but when I installed latest Firefox, and tried that... 3 second wait. 3 seconds seems reasonable to me, the 30 second freeze you are experiencing is NOT usual. The page does freeze while the javascript is retrieving data and drawing the chart in-memory, but that shouldn't take that long.

Hmm... Firefox is working pretty good on my Kindle Fire, better than Silk is. I think I'll change the default browser. :)

Tabbing out and back into a chart does funny things (the chart suddenly covers entire screen), but reloading the chart page fixes it.

Can you check this page on your Android and let us know your experience loading that page:
https://developers.google.com/chart/int ... /linechart

My guess is that google changed something in their Chart API that is causing the issue, and our chart pages use the Google Chart API.

Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:45 pm
Profile WWW

I just loaded my South Beloit Illinois station chart member maps and I didn't notice any problems.

I am using Chrome and looking in the Play store, it looks like my version is up to date. I do not have lollipop though, not sure if there might be a difference there or not.

Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:56 am

Zehd wrote:
Can you check this page on your Android and let us know your experience loading that page:
https://developers.google.com/chart/int ... /linechart

When the browser freezes I can't do anything, and whatever I touch or swipe will pull up or move after the freeze stops. I tried the link you gave me in all 5 of the browsers and did not experience any freeze up on that page. I retested the chart pages in those browsers at the same time. Firefox and the default browser have stopped freezing. However I still have the freeze up in Chrome, CM Browser and Ghostery. I haven't put a stop watch to it but when I count the freeze is always a count of 18. Doesn't matter which browser, the freeze lasts for the count of 18.

And to be clear my phone OS is 4.4.4 Kit Kat. AT&T recently released the update from 4.4.2. I can't say exactly when, so that update may have caused this glitch.

Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:54 pm

I've seen some improvements. As of this morning here's what I've been experiencing.

Chrome - freezes for the count of 9 or 18, 4 times in a row then Okay for 30 seconds or if you reload the page.

Firefox - no longer freezes

CM Browser - freezes for the count of 6-12, 4 times in a row, then Okay for about 30 seconds.

Ghostery - freezes several times 5-9 seconds only when loading and reloading

Default browser preloaded- no longer freezes

Best way to test is to zoom in on the graph and slide left right, up down or diagonal until the page stops moving.

Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:36 am

I too suspect the problem might have started with your Android OS upgrade. I have the older version and have seen no problems with Chrome.

Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:13 am
Server Admin

Considering the fact that it's better now, and I haven't changed anything on our end....

Ok, it could have been something on Google's end with their Visualization API.

I just upgraded my 1st gen Kindle Fire to 4.4.4 KitKat (CyanogenMod 11).
:D I haven't tried all the browsers yet; the default one works ok,although there was a 5 second pause on the chart page. Well, this only has a dual-core 1ghz processor and 512mb memory--everything is a little slow, not just the chart page.

Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:52 am
Profile WWW

This happens after the page has already loaded and usually when I'm looking at it or going to transition to another tab. My Galaxy S5 has a split screen feature that I have tested this with. On split screen it freezes the browser but not the other program. And in instances where I have multiple tabs open in the browser it will freeze the tab navigation, just as if I was viewing the page, until I get to another tab and pull it up. I find it very strange that it affects only the chart member charts and not the maps or anything else that I would think are more taxing on the memory or graphics.

Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:42 am

Hi Guys...

A few thing i have noticed after the donate button (and I'm sure other mods) were added...
Using:
Win 8 Chrome and others.

1) Charts no longer show the popup readings when holding the cursor over the Wave peaks and valleys.. Tops of the wave chart peaks are also Hidden behind the logo "netc.com". no mouse over readings are displayed except at the very right of the chart where i do get the mouse over popup for individual readings at around the last 1/2 inch. Appears the the logo is blocking the chart, must be layered over the chart itself instead of in the background.

2) Marquee(http://enenews.com) starts and then disappears after the first letter of the marquee hits the left margin, it runs normally to the left boundary (the page is fully loaded) disappears and then starts completely over again after a few seconds delay..

Let me know if I can help further, I'll be happy to provide more info on the recent changes I've noticed in the sites behavior.

Good luck...

View my other posts here:
https://www.netc.com/bb/search.php?keyw ... mit=Search

netc.com (donate will ya?)...

Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next