View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Station ID 1:EBEB8CE7 Lawrence, KS, US 

Hello! I live in KC, just curious as to why your Geiger is inside near window? Just trying to learn what good that will do?

Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:03 pm

I am not the station owner but most geiger counters detect beta and gamma radiation. Beta radiation will be detected more outside than inside. By having the geiger counter near a window the leaking beta air from outside (found near windows) will likely be detected with the geiger counter in this location. Inside near a window is NOT better than outside, but when outside is not an option... this is better than nothing. Even having a geiger counter inside but not by a window is better than no geiger counter at all.

Here is a short video that explains the detection of alpha, beta & gamma radiation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSiNXBLfzK4

Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:38 pm

Where is the owner of this station? Please tell me you are experiencing problems with your
Counter? If not, we are screwed. Your current CPM inside 1,133?

Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:41 am

I was rather shocked when I checked my data this morning. About the time the rain started here in Lawrence Ks. I had a spike of 1575 cmp! My background average has been 19 since I installed the unit a little over a week ago. My first thought was the GMC 300E was not working correctly. The count has been going down and I'm down to 788 cpm. My high was 42 cpm before this rain.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:46 am

Recently the FREE Windows app has been updated to correct a condition that has been known to cause a large spike like yours. Knowing this and looking at how rapid your rise was, I believe this was the cause. Please download and install the newest version.

Hang on, I will get the download link and post it here.

Newest version is 1.1 found here: http://www.netc.com/software/

If your GMC-300E / GMC-320 display does not read the same CPM that is being recorded on NETC, this confirms what I am saying and you do need to install the recent version to correct it.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:45 pm

teeko71 wrote:
Where is the owner of this station? Please tell me you are experiencing problems with your
Counter? If not, we are screwed. Your current CPM inside 1,133?

As you can see above, this station owner is aware of their readings but as I have pointed out above... I believe this large spike was a false reading that will be corrected when the most recent software version is installed.

It is always wise to review other nearby stations. I reviewed the nearest EPA gamma site and did not see anything alarming.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:03 pm

Hello all. I was very shocked this morning when I saw what may geiger counter was displaying. My first thought was that it was malfunctioning and I hope that is the case. I'm leaving it going for now to see if it gradually goes back down to my normal average of 22 cpm. As I look now it is down to 468 cpm. We still have a very light mist here at 1pm. The spike seem to coincide with when the freezing rain hit this morning. If it goes back going to a normal range I'm not really sure what to make of it all since that likely would mean the geiger counter was working correctly. I did shut the unit off for a few seconds when I first looked at it this morning not knowing if that would act like a reboot or not. Of course the counter when right back about its business. I next carried it outside under the front porch for maybe a couple minutes and the cmp when up slightly so other than that the unit has set in the same spot since I first installed on Dec 5 just a few days ago.

Since I'm new to all this I don't have a feel for if the unit is out of whack. Since the cmp are at a slow steady decline on one hand, seems like it is working like it should, but since I've never seen counts that high on anyones stations it make me think that it's not...... sigh

Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:01 pm

@Kyle_G - Does the screen on the geiger counter show the high CPM that you are talking about or are those high CPM only seen through the NETC software? If the geiger counter screen does not show the same high counts, this is because you do not have the newest NETC software version. Therefore, your high readings are false.

What version of the NETC software are you currently using?

Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:07 pm

KingCobra wrote:
As you can see above, this station owner is aware of their readings but as I have pointed out above... I believe this large spike was a false reading that will be corrected when the most recent software version is installed.

King Cobra...that's good to know that it's a software glitch. If there is any other kind of testing of the unit at my end let me know.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:10 pm

@Kyle_G - Did your geiger counters display show the same high CPM as what NETC was showing through the software?

What version of the NETC FREE Windows PC software are you using?

Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next