View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Wi-Fi Range 

Anybody know off hand what the range of the WiFi plugin that comes with the PI is? Will it do 200 feet line of sight reliably?

Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:24 pm
Site Admin

No, max maybe 100' and through walls or metal- lucky 50'
harlan

Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:04 pm

hey wrote:
No, max maybe 100' and through walls or metal- lucky 50'
harlan

Crap, I was kind of afraid of that. I don't suppose I can plug a higher power WiFi adapter into the PI without needing additional drivers? I think I already know the answer to that. :(

I am in the process of setting this thing up outside running on solar, just did not want to have to run 200 feet of lan cable and conduit......

Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:51 pm
Site Admin

I use a high power outside router, email jeffb@netc.com for information to set one up outside.

Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:07 pm

FIRST...the disclaimer... I am a lost cause dweeb, being 67 yr old GOLF...

Could you use an "access point" in "reverse" ?? Just feed the Pi WiFi to it and let it rebroadcast your info/data to another WiFi set ?? I have a slightly used, 400 mw unit, that could be used for testing if you wish...I think it cost me like $239 about 3 yr ago...or so. I only have a uni-directional antenna for (11db gain)... but, you could put one of those "flat arrays" on it for like 36db if needed...and directional then too..

OK...flame away...I can take it!

Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:44 pm

EB94DE0D wrote:
FIRST...the disclaimer... I am a lost cause dweeb, being 67 yr old GOLF...

Could you use an "access point" in "reverse" ?? Just feed the Pi WiFi to it and let it rebroadcast your info/data to another WiFi set ?? I have a slightly used, 400 mw unit, that could be used for testing if you wish...I think it cost me like $239 about 3 yr ago...or so. I only have a uni-directional antenna for (11db gain)... but, you could put one of those "flat arrays" on it for like 36db if needed...and directional then too..

OK...flame away...I can take it!

No flames called for, I am always open to suggestions. I am trying to avoid undue complication and overkill, I have already thought of a workaround, so I guess problem is solved, for now. Thanks anyway for the reply.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:16 pm

This is an Alfa 500mw wifi antenna.

http://www.data-alliance.net/servlet/-s ... fgodgWUAdQ

I have used mine for well over 200ft.

I have no clue if it is compatible with the Pi.

Good luck
rc

Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:36 pm
Server Admin

Yes, the Alfa should be compatible, I even believe that the driver may already included on the chip, but I don't have one to test with to verify compatibility, and I therefore can't guarantee that it works.

A high power wireless chip like this may require a powered hub as well.

You may be better off with a wireless gaming adapter--once configured you can pretty much guarantee compatibility, as it will plug in through the ethernet jack.

One device we've been using is the Ubiquiti Nanostation Nano M2. It's a little harder to configure, but it can handle being an ap, or an ap in reverse, and it's pretty high power with a directional antenna built-in, designed to be outdoor mounted. As an Access Point, it can link to the Edimax chips at least 100 feet away, maybe 200 or 300 (assuming clear line of sight). As a client, it can talk to your home access point from probably at least twice as far away.

As a bonus, it's possible to power it directly from the 12-v battery (although it may act weird if the voltage drops down to 10v--and I strongly recommend that you only do firmware updates or configuration changes if the voltage is at least 13v).

We normally just use this radio as a long range access point, and we are NOT powering any from batteries, I just know from reading the forums at their support site that many people do with good results.

Point is, there are options.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:53 pm
Profile WWW

For extended range,, there is a cheaper alternative,, (if YOUR router has "detachable" antennas).. you can install a better antenna with some good Coax cable = LMR400 is SUPER great coax (and proper connectors).

I bought several FLAT panel antennas (for WiFi frequencies) on Ebay. Bigger decibels of gain,, also means MORE narrow signal beam.
The lower the frequency,, the FARTHER it travels and better penetration thru walls. (2.4ghz goes far,, 5.4ghz is SHORT range only.)

The flat panels for 2.4ghz,, even for $25 or $35 will give you a 14dB unit, line of sight can be up to 1/4 mile (but usually just a few hundred feet). I also got a 25-29dB flat panel (these look a bit like a cafeteria food tray,, NOBODY knows it's an antenna).. has a very narrow beam,,but the range is very far. (if you were to have a friend with the same 25-29dB, and point them at each other (on a rooftop mount), it's been shown that they can communicate WiFi up to,, are you ready? MORE than 10 MILES.

Looking online at the VEGAS computer hacker convention,, they have a long range WiFi contest with NO amplifiers allowed.. somebody used an old 10 or 12FT satellite TV dish and was able to get FULL power WiFi to a "chase car" driving to the other side of the desert= 130 miles away!!!

When you consider that the NASA MARS ROVER,, has VERY low power, and we still "talk" to it, you begin to understand how the NSA can spy on low power signals of anything from anywhere.

Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:53 am

Forgot to mention it (just in case you didn't already know about it).. FLAT PANEL antennas are very DIRECTIONAL. (not "omni").

Typical 14dB commonly has a 60 degree spread on the signal width... but my 24-29dB flat panel.. very narrow signal beam,, is only about 3-4 degrees wide. Any snoopers / hackers who are located OUT of my signal path,, don't even find my signals. This also is good for limiting interference from other sources.

Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next