View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Station EB0FCB7A located outside Alamogordo is finally up 

If anyone cares, Station EB0FCB7A is finally up, after 2 months. It is now located in a fan ventilated outdoor enclosure, 10.5 feet off the ground, and running on solar. I cleared all previous collected data, since it was meaningless.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:00 pm
Site Admin

Please send us a picture. I have 4 units outside on fans and a charcoal filter to collect the radiation material. We are glad that we will be able to watch the radiation that is around WIPP.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:12 pm

EB0FCB7A wrote:
If anyone cares, Station EB0FCB7A is finally up, after 2 months. It is now located in a fan ventilated outdoor enclosure, 10.5 feet off the ground, and running on solar. I cleared all previous collected data, since it was meaningless.

Great news! 8-)

Your data (early warning system) is greatly appreciated!

Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:36 pm

hey wrote:
Please send us a picture. I have 4 units outside on fans and a charcoal filter to collect the radiation material. We are glad that we will be able to watch the radiation that is around WIPP.

Well, I tried to upload a couple of pictures, but it would not let me. I kept getting the message "not a valid image file".
Is there a size limit, or will it not accept a standard .jpg file?

Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:43 pm

You can upload them here like I do. Then use the forum img command to show it.

http://postimage.org/

Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:35 pm

EB0FCB7A wrote:
$2
hey wrote:

Well, I tried to upload a couple of pictures, but it would not let me. I kept getting the message "not a valid image file".
Is there a size limit, or will it not accept a standard .jpg file?

I used and air conditioner filter on the intake side (left), mainly to try and cut down on it packing up with dust. The sensitivity of the GMC-320 is so bad I am not sure if a HEPA or charcoal filter would make much difference, but I could be wrong. This is kind of a Mickey Mouse setup, but it should work.

Lets see if this works...
[img]http://s26.postimg.org/sk3de5it5/WP_20140409_002.jpg[img]

Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:12 pm

EB0FCB7A wrote:
$2
hey wrote:

Here are a couple of pictures of the outside setup....

Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:15 pm

KingCobra wrote:
You can upload them here like I do. Then use the forum img command to show it.

http://postimage.org/

Thanks King, looks like that worked.

Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:16 pm
Site Admin

I like your set up except for the airflow. The airflow must be Input air to GC, GC bottom on the air filter ( within 1 inch), then fan, then air output. Without knowing the direction of the air filter, you maybe filtering the air before it enters the box or if not and it is the other direction, the fan is where the GC should be. I would change it to input air, fan, GC and then filer, output air.

Harlan

Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:03 pm

EB0FCB7A wrote:
Thanks King, looks like that worked.

Glad to help. Thanks for sharing those pictures, your unit looks very professional but I do agree with hey/Harlan, improvements can be made. Please remember that the EPA units and those used at the WIPP all use HEPA filters. The main reason I believe is so the filter/sample can be sent off to be tested using a scintillation counter if radiation above normal is detected. Of course using a HEPA filter will give you better detection rates too as the fallout would build-up on the filter and be more easily detected.

I assume that your fan draws the air in from hole near the bottom of the geiger counter? If not, it should because the geiger tube for detection is located in the bottom of that model geiger counter. Then a HEPA filter should be installed over the hole nearest to the bottom of the geiger counter. This filter will obviously need to be replaced from time to time. You would also want the bottom of the geiger counter as close to the filter as you can without limiting the airflow. You want the most airflow you can reasonably get out of a fan with those dimensions.

Your geiger counter comes with a preset alarm of 100 CPM I believe from the manufacture. I would make sure your does because if you were to see high readings on the NETC network from your unit, you need to be able to verify it is not a software problem. By having your alarm set on the geiger counter you should be able to hear it alarming from the ground with no need to climb up and unscrew your enclosure to look at the screen. Furthermore, just because your geiger counter display might read a 100+ CPM value does not confirm radiation is present. The GM tubes in the units do fail (in all geiger counters) and can create false readings. Having a 2nd geiger counter is always a good idea to have available to confirm the detection.

Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next