View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 MINOS Research - Illinois to Minnesota - Chicago Pile 1 

Ok the recent news about North Korea nuclear testing was expected by most of us here.

Although, I did not know about this until now. I find it interesting how close this is to me and that it goes all the way in to MN. Here is a screen shot:

Here is an interesting and concerning quote:

Quote:
"The Soudan Underground Laboratory is a general-purpose science facility, which provides the deep underground environment required by a variety of sensitive experiments. The Lab currently hosts two large projects: MINOS, which investigates elusive and poorly understood particles called neutrinos"

I'm sorry, I am having a hard time getting past the words ELUSIVE & POORLY UNDERSTOOD in the previous quote about this current MINOS research after just watching a documentary video on Chicago Pile 1 seen here:

Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JTOUdb3ylQ

Here is the source link for the above quote and information about the lab and project:

Code:
http://www.physics.umn.edu/outreach/soudan/tour/

Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:37 am
Site Admin

I would move, if i was you.
Here is more data the park and you can take a tour of it
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/soudan_underground_mine/physicslab.html

High Energy Physics Lab

Why is there a high energy physics lab at Soudan Underground Mine State Park?
By constructing the lab at the bottom of the mine, scientists use the nearly half-mile depth as a shield to filter out cosmic rays. Without these rays, scientists can conduct sensitive experiments they are unable to do aboveground. The lab is run by the University of Minnesota.

How did they build the lab?
The lab was built using modern underground mining methods. All materials used in construction, or removed from the lab, were lowered or raised in the shaft using the same system the mine did when active.

What experiments are conducted in the lab?
There are two major experiments in the lab now: CDMS and MINOS. A third experiment, Proton Decay, has been put on hold.

What is CDMS?
CDMS stands for Cryogenic Dark Matter Search. This experiment's purpose is to directly detect dark matter particles other than neutrinos.

What is MINOS?
MINOS stands for Main Injector Neutrino Oscillation Search. The experiment's purpose is to measure the mass of particles called neutrinos, which are smaller than the nuclei of atoms.

What is Soudan 2 (Proton Decay)?
The Soudan 2 Proton Decay experiment operated from 1989-2001. The goal of the experiment was to observe the decay of a proton. While this was not observed, much valuable data was collected, leading to the MINOS experiment.

MINOS crew in front of first installed detector plate.

Completed cavern before installation of MINOS experiment.

Installed MINOS experiment equipment.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:19 am

If all that they are doing in the mine is that which they have stated, and I believe them, then you have absolutely nothing to worry about. There are particles of atoms that are so small and travel so fast that scientist find it very difficult just to verify their existence, let alone measure them. These particles apparently travel through the universe virtually unimpeded, most of them travel right through the earth. The only way that they can detect these things is to go deep down in the earth away from other forms of energy traveling with near the same energy. These things were just theory when I was in nuclear power school, and it doesn't seem like a lot has changed since then.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]