View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Returned my defective GC-300E..other detectors? 

No no...I have the standard probe. I was saying another option is to buy the pancake probe and use it with the CDV700. ;)

Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:17 am

Ok thank you.

Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:18 am

No problem. I will probably buy the pancake probe in September some time.

Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:24 am

Hey KC. I ordered the pancake probe for my CDV700 yesterday. Gonna take a while to get it but I can wait. LOL...I have no choice. I will report in as soon as I get it to let you know about sensitivity and general performance, etc.
Also, I made three bids on the GMC-200 on E-Bay. I started at $50. Didn't think they would take that. Then went up to $60 and it was still declined. Okay, still a bit low. So I went up to $70. I had a good feeling about that bid. Most E-Bayers take a $20 drop on the asking price. Unfortunately, that was also declined. Looks like they are just taking pennies less on the asking price. I aslo notice that there is yet ANOTHER model released from GMC! THe GMC-320. No idea what the difference is, except for a higher price ($168). It's advertised on E-Bay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GQ-GMC-320-Nucl ... 41765d2665

I also notice there is another thread on the forum where a guy is having problems with his GMC detector.
https://www.netc.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=167

Perhaps the new model addresses some of these problems?
I have been eye-balling the Inspector+ counter for possible future purchase. Seems to get VERY good reviews, although a bit pricey. But I have learned very quickly that you REALLY "get what you pay for" when it comes to geigers.

Dep

Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:00 am

Deputy wrote:
...but I have learned very quickly that you REALLY "get what you pay for" when it comes to geigers.

This statement reminds me of the Russian geiger counter I bought from Russia through Ebay for $100 that was JUNK! When I say JUNK, it did not work so I just took a loss and considered it a learning lesson.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:18 pm

KingCobra wrote:
$2
Deputy wrote:
...but I have learned very quickly that you REALLY "get what you pay for" when it comes to geigers.

This statement reminds me of the Russian geiger counter I bought from Russia through Ebay for $100 that was JUNK! When I say JUNK, it did not work so I just took a loss and considered it a learning lesson.

I wish there was a location where you could get honest reviews of geigers without it being influenced by sellers or goofballs. Just reviews by people who owned them and use them. I kinda like Amazon for that. Once you sort out the idiots and BS, it's not too bad. If you look at the locations on Amazon where they sell radioactive samples for testing geigers, you will see the posts by idiots.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:40 pm

Deputy wrote:
I also notice there is another thread on the forum where a guy is having problems with his GMC detector.

Dep

That was me posting in that thread. I contacted them and sent my 300 back for repair. Turns out the tube had failed so they replaced it for free and are sending it back to me. I own 3 Geiger counters, all low cost units including a Russian DB-88, a GMC-200, and the GMC-300. Other then the tube failing in the 300 I am happy with the GQ units for the price. No they are not Inspectors bu they are also way less expensive...

Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:09 pm

rdesrosi wrote:
$2
Deputy wrote:

Dep

That was me posting in that thread. I contacted them and sent my 300 back for repair. Turns out the tube had failed so they replaced it for free and are sending it back to me. I own 3 Geiger counters, all low cost units including a Russian DB-88, a GMC-200, and the GMC-300. Other then the tube failing in the 300 I am happy with the GQ units for the price. No they are not Inspectors bu they are also way less expensive...

I am glad you had your problem corrected. I sent three offers for the GMC-200, but evidently he only wanted to drop a couple of dollars. So I ended up ordering a replacement pancake probe for my CDV700 counters. It will enable detection of alpha/beta/gamma/and X-ray. Cost a chunk of cash at $279, but I think it's worth it. The good news is it is going to arrive on Sept 3. That is a lot sooner than they originally predicted. Evidently they have them in stock now. For the time being I will use the K8 detector at rock shows in my area. It's not as sensitive as some, but at least it is handy. :)
If i do get another detector, it will most likely be the Inspector +.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:13 pm
Site Admin

My geiger counter has a probe on my ImageSi unit. They sell extra probes, but said they must be calibrated to the unit and cost was $35.00 if I sent my unit to them. By replacing the probe, your unit may not read correctly, and you will never know. Be careful.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:38 pm

Well considering my geigers are all early 50s vintage and none of them have been calibrated beyond 1985, I am not all that concerend about ultra-accuracy in readings. I would only be concerned if the readings were LESS than what they are with the standard probe installed. That would indicate the pancake probe isn't working right. I have 4 CDV700s to test it on so, I have good odds of it working right on at least one of them.
Not really anyting I have to "be careful" about. I am not going into uranium mines or anything like that. :D

Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next