View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Returned my defective GC-300E..other detectors? 

Deputy wrote:
.... I am not going into uranium mines or anything like that. :D

8-) I am with you! Some have suggested to me that if my local nuclear power plant had problems and was believed to be leaking, I should drive there and do tests.

What will really happen is that once I believe my readings from my house make me suspect the plant leaking "more than normal" I will be driving with my family in the opposite direction. :!:

Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:45 am

KC: Exactly right!

Actually, my Father-in-Law has some old uranium mines on his property. They have been filled in (vertical shafts dug to see if uranium is present), but one has been investigated by local authorities. I said I would check them out if they want. But I will have all my gear turned on before I get very close. I will also have a decent UV fashlight with me. Been trying to find one but haven't had any luck so far. A lot of them are junk. UV is great to spot surface radiation at night.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:12 pm

I see you have your location listed as New Mexico. I have a unit there but until the person that is hosting the station in their house returns home for the Fall to reset it, it is inactive.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:53 pm

KingCobra wrote:
I see you have your location listed as New Mexico. I have a unit there but until the person that is hosting the station in their house returns home for the Fall to reset it, it is inactive.

Yes, I am in Silver City at the bottom (southwest) of the state. Lots of old uranium mines around here so I should be able to pick up some material fairly easy. :)
I have a monitor adapter cable for my CDV700s on order and it should arrive next week. Hopefully I will be able to go active immedaitely. :)
BTW...I used to live in Wilmette, Illinois (suburb North of Chicago) before I moved here to retire in 2005.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:12 am

Glad to hear you plan on connecting to the network to share your readings. It will be helpful to have another private unit in New Mexico to compare rise & falls.

Have you considered having your station outside or is that what you were placing bids for the GMC-200 unit for?

Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:47 am

Yes, was planning on the GMC200 for outside use. I may still do so when I get more cash. :D

As to the pancake probe and re-calibration. Got this off the Yahoo CDV700 group:

Yahoo forum CDV700 group wrote:
A Geiger counter measures counts per minute. That's it. Counts don't convey energy info, or even the type of radiation (e.g. alpha/beta/gamma). The unit mR/h is a measure of absorbed energy dose rate of radiation. So it is impossible for a Geiger counter to measure mR/h directly. Converting from counts per minute to dose rate is something akin to voodoo math. You have to make a lot of assumptions about the probe and the isotope (e.g. Cs-137 is a popular calibration standard) you are measuring. Change the probe and the conversion factor goes out the window. Change the isotope and the conversion factor changes too (although energy compensated probes try to get around that.)

The mR/h scale on the CDV-700 was intended to be used with the hot dog probe and the beta window closed. It gives an estimate of how much gamma radiation the probe is exposed to, but only under those conditions. If you open the beta window, those conditions don't apply any more, so the mR/h scale is useless. Only the CPM scale has meaning. The same is true with the pancake probe.

The pancake probe is extremely useful to detect pure alpha sources. The hot dog probe can't detect alpha at all; the thin metal of the tube is enough to stop alpha. Pancake probes have thin mica windows to allow alpha through.

Beta radiation is stopped by metal. The hot dog probe has shielding to block all beta. Opening the shield exposes the tube, but the metal wall of the tube blocks some beta. Because the pancake probe has a thin mica window, it will be more sensitive to beta than the hot dog probe with the beta window open.

It is also useful to note that Geiger tubes are extremely insensitive to gamma; only a small fraction of the gammas entering the probe result in a count. Overall, gamma sensitivity is orders of magnitude lower than beta sensitivity, assuming the probe isn't shielded against beta.

That said, use the right tool for the right job. If you are being exposed to gamma, use the hot dog probe with the shield closed, and because it is energy compensated, the mR/h should be about right. If you want to look for low levels of contamination, you probably want to look for beta. Cs-137 emits comparable numbers of beta and gamma. But because gamma counting efficiency is low, you will do a better job looking for beta, and for that, the pancake probe comes in very handy. I've used the pancake probe to detect low level Cs-137 contamination on clothing we wore in Chernobyl. The hot dog probe in gamma mode detected nothing above background because of the low gamma counting efficiency. But the pancake probe homed in on it easily.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:03 pm

Thanks for sharing that, very true. I wish everyone would use CPM for the very reasons mentioned above. I see many YouTube videos where people are showing measurements off geiger counters but not using CPM.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:29 pm

Just took delivery of, and tried out, my new pancake probe for the CDV-700. All I can say is WOW!!! :o
The sensitivity has taken a major jump compared to the standard probe. I can place the probe 4 feet away and detect radiation from my test samples where before nothing was detected until about a foot away. Also very happy to say the probe handle fits and locks into the CDV carry slot perfectly. To say I am a happy camper is to make an understatement. :D

Also...

I just bought one of Atomic Dave's geiger counters off E-Bay. Those things sell VERY fast on there. I got the HIRO+plus K62.
Specs:
2 Internally Bottom Mounted & Vented SI-29BG Geiger Mueller tubes
Internal 3.7v, 3000mAh Lithium Ion battery with USB charging & status LED
Tone mode makes sensitivity like a metal detector (distance to the source effects pitch of the beep)
System charges with 5V power supply- Mini USB car adapters, laptops, etc
The really good news is it uses a USB cable I already have for online monitoring and charging. :D

Dep

Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:08 pm

Great news.

Please keep me updated on your new toy (HIRO+plus K62) when you get it.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:38 pm

KingCobra wrote:
Great news.

Please keep me updated on your new toy (HIRO+plus K62) when you get it.

Will do KC. Atomic Dave already shipped it. :)

Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next