View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Quality of detectors used in monitoring? 

KingCobra wrote:
$2
Deputy wrote:
KC: I'm a bit confused with your statement "the GMC-200 has done the hard work 24/7 testing and pointed out when I need to take samples". Are you talking about air samples or actual physical samples? I use my geigers for taking actual PHYSICAL samples too. :)

Yes, actual physical samples. When my GMC-200 along with the Raspberry Pi hooked to NETC records a high reading, it alerts/talks to me which I will then use my InspectorEXP if during a rain storm... a paper towel sample. This saves me the trouble of testing every rainfall sample when not needed.

Ahhhhh...your actual samples are most likely from nuclear reactors or other airborne nuclear sources. My radioactive sources are the real deal...as in Uranium/Pitchblende sources from non-active mines. So instead of tiny traces on a piece of paper, I am getting actual chunks of ore. I also use UV flashlights to hunt for chunks of ore. There are no nuclear reactors in New Mexico, although it is the 2nd richest state for uranium deposits. Most of the uranium is in the northern part of the state in Grants County (especially Indian reservations). But there are some mines no longer used here in southern New Mexico and they still have some ore to be obtained. Don't worry, I am very careful about watching the readouts of the ore before handling them. ;)

Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:45 pm

Deputy wrote:
There are no nuclear reactors in New Mexico

My brother lives in New Mexico. He said there many military nuclear sources there. :shock:

Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:37 pm

KingCobra wrote:
$2
Deputy wrote:
There are no nuclear reactors in New Mexico

My brother lives in New Mexico. He said there many military nuclear sources there. :shock:

Yes, that's true. MANY military/government locations (Los Alamos is here). Some military locations are well known (Roswell) and some aren't. But there are no nuclear power reactors in the state. And digging for uranium has stopped for many years. "Although New Mexico has the second largest identified uranium ore reserves of any state in the United States (after Wyoming), no uranium ore has been mined in New Mexico since 1998"...from Wikipedia.
Actually, in my location there is a higher risk of a toxic chemical spill from the chemicals used in the copper mines than a nuclear accident. The chemicals are transported by rail and truck and one truck already had an accident in the heart of our town. Fortunately it was right across the street from the fire department so they got the chemicals washed away pretty quickly.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2