View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Interpreting data from my GC/air filter setup. 

Actually we might be able to get away with just a duct on the intake.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:22 pm

Morellio wrote:
...an outdoor enclosure that would protect against the elements so you could you house your detectors, filtration systems, etc. Could you describe what the ideal enclosure would look like...i.e. dimensions, materials, and special components needed, approximate price point, etc.?

Materials:
Something that provides shielding and doesn't breathe, or allow sunlight or rain inside. Also something that won't rust and can take a few years or more of exposure to the elements.

Dimensions:
Width: 24"
Depth: 22"
Height: 36"

Features:
Cable run for power
Raised platform inside to keep everything off the ground
Upward facing vents front and back to prevent wind from pushing rain inside
Access door on the side

Fun remaining problems:
Creating ducting from the vents to the intake and exhaust of the air purifier while still allowing access to the Geiger counter.

Consider the possibility of standardizing on an off-the-shelf computer case (~$20) that includes a 1X80mm ducted fan (with power supply) to act as the filtration fan. The air flow could be blown thru the side of a ~3"X3" swatch of 1/4" (or 1/2') thick, relatively inexpensive insulation material stored in roll form, lending itself to being conveniently and quickly changed-out by periodically (e.g., daily) indexing it forward on an uptake roll as a 'new' (i.e., untainted) swatch passes thru the ducted airstream and (subsequently, or in-situ) underneath the geiger counter pancake tube. The computer case would house both the new 'untainted' and uptake rolls of insulation filtration material, along with the geiger counter and ducted fan. The fan enclosure's intake and ducted output could be located on the bottom surface of the enclosure, parallel with the ground, in order to minimize rain entrainment.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:10 am

Morellio wrote:

So I've left the setup running continuously over the weekend, and saw levels drop to 90 CPM and stay around there most of the time. There is little to no possibility of the mica window on my GC distorting the way it is positioned, which makes that first reading a bit of an anomoly. That is, until I saw it raising to 160+ again, when the heater was turned on. Will know more when I get the radon detector.

Sometimes, investigations lead to further questions; not sure whether you got yours answered to complete satisfaction, but consider another possibility that some radionuclides which previously 'plated-out' going back decades, might (?) periodically be released from ducting.

-------
Ephesians 3:10

Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4