View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Why are most readings on gamma instead of beta? 

And why is lots of data missing from the beta network historical charts? Just curious about the history, as I only started looking into this stuff in the last few years. Love the service, thanks.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:30 pm

Sharpie wrote:
And why is lots of data missing from the beta network historical charts? Just curious about the history, as I only started looking into this stuff in the last few years. Love the service, thanks.

I assume the EPA stations your talking about?

More details please.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:57 pm

Hi KingCobra,

What I mean by missing data is there used to be San Francisco beta data. Not sure if it was EPA, sorry. Don't see it any more. That's one example.

Also noticed data stations going off-line?

Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:41 pm

Sharpie wrote:
Hi KingCobra,

What I mean by missing data is there used to be San Francisco beta data. Not sure if it was EPA, sorry. Don't see it any more. That's one example.

Also noticed data stations going off-line?

All the EPA beta stations were removed from the NETC public free page about two months ago do to bandwidth and confusion from the public. Furthermore, both the EPA gamma and beta stations are in the same locations and on the free public map there was no way to select one over the other, it was causing much confusion with the public.

Chart members from the chart members page can still view both the EPA gamma & beta stations each at different times by using the selection tabs on the right.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:25 pm

I noticed this too. So I looked around. What looks really interesting to me is all the "inactive" stations around the US. AND in lots of other countries. To look at these, I went and turned off all active stations so the map was blank, and then turned on only the inactive stations (the black and white ones) The EPA Gamma radiation site numbers begin with a "5". (the most dangerous of the alpha,beta,gamma radiation) The EPA beta stations begin with a "4". I believe that private or NETC volunteer stations begin with a "1". I'm not sure about the foreign ones, but there are LOTS of them. If you bring each one up, and look at the dates each one went offline, and their data trends just before they did go offline, I think you will find the patterns significant.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]