View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Honolulu readings 

Two different models of geiger counters will also have different sensitivities, and you cannot compare the cpm counts of dissimilar counter without taking that into account, for instance, triple pancake sensors will report normal background radiation in the 150cpm range while the GMC units will only report around 30cpm at the same location.

OK, if this is correct with the different models of geiger counters , the Alert symbol WOULD CORRELATE with it along with the CPM reading, RIGHT?

Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:16 pm
Site Admin

State your facts: Where did the government say, "100 CPM is Alert". Where is your data coming from?
Harlan

Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:24 pm

No matter how you say it, it is spelled out clearly when you join this site the hows and whys. I agree the tone and forcefulness will not only get few responses but also possibly banned. I'm not jumping off the chair to make a new post about this image to day... because I am able to look at the historical data of each site and make my own decision of what is and is not safe for my family - without capitals and colors.

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2014-01-09 at 9.12.40 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-01-09 at 9.12.40 PM.jpg [ 253.61 KiB | Viewed 40544 times ]

Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:25 am

You still have not answered our question,
High Alert symbol (red & yellow) #3 along with a low CPM reading of 90 ??
To be at 3rd level readings must be above cpm 300 ...right?

Attachments:
EPA LEVELS.jpg
EPA LEVELS.jpg [ 15.29 KiB | Viewed 40542 times ]

Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:45 am

Hi, Lightstorm, Norski here. Wow, what frustration I see and feel here. And I don't blame you. It looks like you are trying desperately to get a "solid" answer, yes/no, point on a line, at this level take iodine, at this level it's a RADCON (number 1-5). Is this an accurate assessment? Do I have this correct?

Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:18 am

OK, I wonder if I have a handle on what's going on here. I think that there may be some "apples to oranges" measurements going on, and insufficient information regarding variables going into total results as well.

On this post, I see that you are displaying what looks like EPA figures for CPM warning levels. And the Gov't figures are very interesting, changeable, and generally CYA. OK. But those figures are just a start, and it looks as though your numbers may be also changed by going from Relative to Absolute on your map viewing.

Now, the NETC information you need to get your questions answered is in the front page forum "What is NETC all about?" It needs to be read at least three times, the WHOLE THREAD. And there is a thread just started called "101 Things for Newbies", but I am myself having a heck of a time finding it again, and have asked for it to be moved to the front forum - because the two of these sets of information answer your question, - The answer is way more involved than it first appears. This is actually quite a learning curve here. For me too. Regards, Norski

Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:43 am

Lightstorm wrote:
You still have not answered our question,
High Alert symbol (red & yellow) #3 along with a low CPM reading of 90 ??
To be at 3rd level readings must be above cpm 300 ...right?

Why did you post a screen shot from (Radiation Network) another private radiation monitoring network and label it as EPA levels. These are not EPA levels.

:!: There is a big difference between asking questions and spreading disinformation.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:40 am

Still you seem to be avoiding a very simple question again and again.
When an alert symbol is showing at the 3rd stage level why is the CPM showing a low count.??
I am only trying to point it out because there may be a falty unit. That's all!
So please be aware of this because common sense says that,
If the alert is at the 3rd stage level, logistics would show a higher cpm reading not a 1st level reading... YES OR NO? CAN YOU ANSWER the QUESTION PLEASE.
Thank You

Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:13 am

Thank you Norski
At least someone understood me !
I just wanted to know if that station had a faulty unit.
3rd alert symbol along with 1st alert cpm readings. ?
Could there unit be malfunctioning? Norski,
Thanks again for your understanding and common sense reply.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:23 am

No problem. And the thread for "101 things for Newbies" which should be very helpful to you, is now in the Nuclear 101 section on the first page of the forum.

Just to check things, are you transferring information and/or radiation readings from Radiation Network to Nuclear Emergency Tracking Center? Because if so, that may be part of the confusion .. .

Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next