View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Tucson monitors have not been online for a few days 

Wow the car is back. It's yellow and looks kinda big and it is always parked in the same place outside the parking lines. It looks like the monitor is connected to the exhaust pipe. I guess it is a mobile Gamma one though I also realized now that there are a lot of inactive sites and why I ask? I really think we should all if we are able to monitor our area as best we can since when something has happened and it's coming our way we can warn others.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:54 am

Uh, SoZo, this sounds somewhat bizarre. Is it worth asking for a photo?

Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:57 pm

Monitoring Sites
All Active : 270
Active Private: 57
Active EPA Beta: 42
Active EPA Gamma: 101
Active Japan Limited: 70
Active Japan Full: 2675

Phoenix is offline. Checking the historical date, it happened just as it was hitting a peak. Fascinating.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:52 am

norski wrote:
Phoenix is offline. Checking the historical date, it happened just as it was hitting a peak. Fascinating.

I have seen this type of thing happen many times. This is another good example of how when we really need these EPA sites to be up and running showing us the climbing radiation levels, they will likely go offline until after it has passed.

:!: WE NEED MORE PRIVATE SITES :!:

Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:51 pm

Monitoring Sites
All Active : 300
Active Private: 61
Active EPA Beta: 46
Active EPA Gamma: 111
Active Japan Limited: 82
Active Japan Full: 2693

I just checked San Diego. The EPA site hit almost 500 CPM on Jan 11 and then went offline for 3+ days. It is now back. At NETC level 3 red/yellow. How do we find the "volunteers" who tend these stations, change their filters (2x/week supposedly) and turn them on and off?

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:05 am

Hello, this is an odd RAD alert for station 1:EB745515 today. I have some questions regarding this, please assist.
1) I know that this is listed as an unreliable station, but why cancel the alert of a station that went from 30cpm for the last months to 120 today, and is still reading 120 Cpm as of this post.

2) The station unit, on Google, is shown as being at FIAirport. I have reason to believe this is location is inaccurate.

3) It would be helpful if the operator would list what the unit is and where it is. While I am extremely grateful that someone private is willing to do this (I am gathering my finances to do so myself) it does grate on me somewhat that the EPA does not have a unit here in the largest land mass area unserved in the entire USA (non-CONUS, I know)

4) How can I assist? I will be ordering a 300/320unit and RPI very soon.

Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:55 pm
Site Admin

Quote:
Hello, this is an odd RAD alert for station 1:EB745515 today. I have some questions regarding this, please assist.
1) I know that this is listed as an unreliable station, but why cancel the alert of a station that went from 30cpm for the last months to 120 today, and is still reading 120 Cpm as of this post.

2) The station unit, on Google, is shown as being at FIAirport. I have reason to believe this is location is inaccurate.

3) It would be helpful if the operator would list what the unit is and where it is. While I am extremely grateful that someone private is willing to do this (I am gathering my finances to do so myself) it does grate on me somewhat that the EPA does not have a unit here in the largest land mass area unserved in the entire USA (non-CONUS, I know)

4) How can I assist? I will be ordering a 300/320unit and RPI very soon.

To answer your concerns:
1. When the radiation station is unreliable, there is no reason to warn people until it is check out.
2. I mailed the unit to Fairbanks, AK, where do you get your data from that this unit is not there?
3. The EPA has two Radnet stations in Alaska, see the map
4. Your interest is greatly appreciated, and passing the word out helps a lot. Look forward to see your unit online.

Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:08 pm

To answer your concerns:
1. When the radiation station is unreliable, there is no reason to warn people until it is check out.
2. I mailed the unit to Fairbanks, AK, where do you get your data from that this unit is not there?
3. The EPA has two Radnet stations in Alaska, see the map
4. Your interest is greatly appreciated, and passing the word out helps a lot. Look forward to see your unit online.

1) Yes, thank you. This was a concern, and now the station itself is reading (from 18-20 hist) 118-120 on a straight-line read with almost no deviation. After a straight-line rise over about 18? hours (offline) it now reads a consistent 100 cpm higher. Interesting.
2) Sorry, my email information indicated that the unit is now about 62m from my email, which is within F city limits. FAI airport is about 5 miles away. With the exception of two towns of about 1500 people each (Nenana and Salcha, AK), and surrounded by varying mountains, this would indicate that the station monitor is WAY out of town. FB is about 8 m square, 30,000 persons tops in the middle of -
3) A land mass 1/5 the size of the rest of the USA Continental United States (CONUS) This is the equivalent of having one gamma and one beta unit total in a land mass the size of WA, OR, ID, and MT combined.
4) Chasing pennies, coming soon. Urgency now firmly established, thank you. And I sure would like to know what this FB unit is and inside/out/aircleaner, plus terrain. I do not know the protocol for requesting contact with a member - if there is one. Thank you, Norski

Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:14 pm

Wow! FB AK Back to 12-19CPM! I do not know what to say! I guess I will go re read the 300/320 glitch items again.

Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:20 pm
Site Admin

Great, Fairbanks Ak has fixed the spike problem. I have erased the spike from the chart. Harlan

Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next