View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Nuclear Liability Exclusion on Insurance policy renewal 

Just received a notice from my insurance company stating the following:

Dear Policyholder:

Thank you for choosing Travelers. We are providing advance notice of changes affecting your renewal policy or notification of renewal premium. Please consult Travelers Service Center for guidance in reviewing the information contained in this notice.

Your renewal policy will provide changes in coverage because of underwriting judgment based on an evaluation of your individual risk exposures andl/or loss history.

The following is changed on your renewal:
Coverage Change Details
IL 00 21 09 08 (NUCLEAR ENERGY LIABILITY EXCLUSION ENDORSEMENT) FORM
HAS BEEN ADDED TO YOUR POLICY

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone else gotten one of these recently?

Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:19 am

Interesting, is this auto, home or life?

Thanks in advance.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:15 pm

Very interesting!
Curious where you live? Would that prompt a Nuclear Liability Exclusion policy?

Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:44 pm

I am outside of Spokane WA. This is a business insurance policy. I will be calling them on Monday to find out what data they are basing this decision on. I will report back.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:11 pm

k9gsd wrote:
I am outside of Spokane WA. This is a business insurance policy. I will be calling them on Monday to find out what data they are basing this decision on. I will report back.

Greatly appreciate the heads-up, thank you.

I am looking forward to hearing more details as you find them out. 8-)

Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:14 pm
Server Admin

Here's a link to the actual endorsement (pdf), thanks to a quick Google search:

http://www.iacoop.biz/endorsements/IL%200021.pdf

Looks like it's just a legal blanket saying that they just aren't going to cover you if you are a "nuclear facility" under their standard liability insurance. They are probably adding that endorsement to all of their business accounts and making nuclear facilities get a special "nuclear energy liability policy".

They should have enclosed a copy of that endorsement with the letter notifying you of them adding the endorsement to your policy.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:58 pm
Profile WWW

They didn't include the actual exclusion endorsement with the notification letter, so I don't know if that is the same wording that will be with my policy or not. I will ask to have a copy of the endorsement faxed to me and let you all know.

If the wording is the same, the most concerning part of the endorsement to me is 1B.

1. The insurance does not apply:
B. Under any Medical Payments coverage, to
expenses incurred with respect to "bodily injury"
resulting from the "hazardous properties" of
"nuclear material" and arising out of the
operation of a "nuclear facility" by any person or
organization.

According to this, I do not have to be the one operating the hazardous properties or nuclear facility. It states "by any person or organization". Just seems strange that I have had this same insurance plan for 8 years and I am just now getting this added to my policy. Things that make you go hmmm.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:35 pm

Talked to Travelers this morning. After being transferred to 6 different people, I finally spoke with a man that said the endorsement was just amending the policy to remove coverage that was not intended for my type of business. When I asked if this only pertained to those operating nuclear facilities, he said yes. I then asked to be sent a copy of the actual form, which he quickly sent via email in a PDF file. The wording is almost identical to the form linked to above. I sent an email back asking for clarification on section 1B. Here is what I asked:

Could you clarify section 1B for me? If I am reading it correctly, it appears that the insurance would not apply under any medical payments coverage with respect to bodily injury arising out of the operation of a nuclear facility by any person or organization. So, if there was a nuclear disaster anywhere that caused me bodily injury in the normal course of my business, this form would exclude coverage for medical payments, correct? Not only if I was involved in running a nuclear facility or handling hazardous materials.

I will update if I get a response.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:15 pm

Here is the response I received:

You are already excluded from the $5,000 in medical payments coverage. The Medical Payments is only for third party injury anyway. You, as the insured, can’t collect from your own policy. This holds true for non-nuclear related injury as well. The endorsement reinforces the fact that if you own, operate, or insure a nuclear facility then the policy will not provide coverage for your medical payments or injuries. In a way the form is redundant, as the new form drives home the point that you can’t sue yourself for injury on this policy.

------------------------------------------

This explanation doesn't seem to jibe with what the endorsement says in section 1B, but that is the official stance on the subject.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]