View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Kalispell? 

Hi, I have been trying to find any data on Kalispell. Does anyone have any readings or links? I know overall Montana is high, but I think most of that is due to nukes throughout the plains. Great Falls and to the east through the Dakotas. I have been very curious about the Kalispell through Missoula area that seems to be protected by the ranges. Many thanks for anything you can post!

Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:16 pm

Ooops wrote:
Hi, I have been trying to find any data on Kalispell. Does anyone have any readings or links? I know overall Montana is high, but I think most of that is due to nukes throughout the plains. Great Falls and to the east through the Dakotas. I have been very curious about the Kalispell through Missoula area that seems to be protected by the ranges. Many thanks for anything you can post!

Where have you gotten any data on radiation in Montana, other than the EPA site in Billings? Billings is a looooong ways from Great Falls, where the missile silos are. I suspect the high readings in Billings are a local phenomenon, possibly from all the uranium mines in the Pryor Mountains.

Also, do missile silos actually release radiation? How would that work? Do you have any info? This is relevant because we live just south of Great Falls, in Helena.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:46 pm

picante wrote:
$2
Ooops wrote:

Where have you gotten any data on radiation in Montana, other than the EPA site in Billings? Billings is a looooong ways from Great Falls, where the missile silos are. I suspect the high readings in Billings are a local phenomenon, possibly from all the uranium mines in the Pryor Mountains.

Also, do missile silos actually release radiation? How would that work? Do you have any info? This is relevant because we live just south of Great Falls, in Helena.

That's what I was trying to find information on. On Radiation Network, the reading and nuclear symbol (I am assuming for Malstrom) seem to be over the Great Falls area. As far as missiles... they are nuclear missiles and 1/3 of our nations land based ones are stored there. I just put another post up that had links and pics and stuff. I am not sure if the marker is just in the wrong place on radiationnetwork.com (as it doesn't have the more detailed map for that area - and you cannot click on it, like with this site), but either way, all the stuff I found about what is there has changed my mind about selecting that area :( It would be just like staying here (Colorado).

Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:30 am

Hi again, Kelly. Re the Radiation Network map: If that symbol is actually in the right location, then the geiger counter in question is over on the west side of the Divide, maybe in Missoula, but it looks like it's north of there. I dislike that map for this very reason. Plus, it doesn't tell us what make of gieger counter it is, only that it has a "pancake" sensor. When it's there (right now it's down), it usually reads high 30s to low 40s, which isn't that high.

The radiation down near Denver is a lot higher, and I assume that's from Rocky Flats. Maybe you would know.

I wish we had more geiger counters in Montana. I keep posting this map on FB, hoping to draw more people here. I've been planning to buy one myself -- just waiting for money.
Julie

Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:48 pm

picante wrote:
Hi again, Kelly. Re the Radiation Network map: If that symbol is actually in the right location, then the geiger counter in question is over on the west side of the Divide, maybe in Missoula, but it looks like it's north of there. I dislike that map for this very reason. Plus, it doesn't tell us what make of gieger counter it is, only that it has a "pancake" sensor. When it's there (right now it's down), it usually reads high 30s to low 40s, which isn't that high.

The radiation down near Denver is a lot higher, and I assume that's from Rocky Flats. Maybe you would know.

I wish we had more geiger counters in Montana. I keep posting this map on FB, hoping to draw more people here. I've been planning to buy one myself -- just waiting for money.
Julie

There are so many sources here, one is the flats, but the sources here are numerous and I wish I knew sooner :(

Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]