View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 A question for scientists, 

With all the expected radiation that will rain down on us for the foreseeable future, Is there anyone working on a method of remediation ? I just read an article about the variety of control rods used in reactors and wondered if anyone was looking into if there was any way to use that technology to develop an atomized spray that could be delivered into the upper levels of the atmosphere that would mix with and encapsulate the particles that are floating around up there. I don't have an answer and wondered if any of you know of any work being done in that area.
I really don't have much hope that we can shut the nuclear generators down in the near future but somewhere down the road they WILL be forced to. maybe in two or three generations, but not now.
I have ordered a gieger counter (sei inspector ext). By the way,,my wife thinks I'm nuts!
Another article posted here was telling about some scrap steel that was intercepted before it reached the Nucor Mill in Tx. That one really hit close to home, Most of the steel I beams I work with are from Nucor.... scary!!

Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:42 am

It sounds with your job you need a small, durable and inexpensive geiger counter that can run off battery to have running on your person while working. I suggest either the GMC-200 or the GMC-300 series. The Inspector is a great unit but it is not durable nor inexpensive. You only want to use it when you know radiation is present. The $85 GMC-200 would alert you and then you could use your Inspector for further investigating.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:56 pm

Hi KC, The meter is for my peace of mind. More as a means of teaching my teenage grand daughter about the hidden danger around home. (relationship of contamination in foods from Cali. and other localities, vs local grown) Secondary use would be at work. I might have 50 or 60 beams come in a truckload, and would check the batch before unloading. Unfortunately, me checking might not go over too well, These beams are cut for use in the Navy's new ships being built at general dynamics bath iron works in Maine.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]