View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 What is NETC maps all about??? 

Welcome Pinto to the forum and to NETC 8-)

Your questions are all valid ones and this topic of radiation can cause much confusion and even many disagreements between experts. On the most basic level, what is a safe amount of radiation? The NETC team all agrees with the group of scientists that say no level of radiation is safe, but we also understand too that you can't avoid it 100% either. When used daily much like someone concerned about the weather radar, NETC is a valuable tool to use in avoiding outside exposure to increased levels of radiation. Using my unit outside (connected to an air purifier for better detection) and a unit inside my house (both connected to NETC) I can easily compare between the two units to determine if the beta radiation levels outside (with my house windows & doors closed) has risen. I also use readings from my nearest EPA site to verify my outside units rise or fall in readings. Although my unit will not always match theirs in CPM, I do see a rise or fall in levels around the same times as theirs. When I see a rise, my wife and I as a caution do not let our kids play outside. We can not prove where this rise in radiation came from, what isotope it is or how safe it would or would not be to allow them to play outside in it. The simple fact that it has risen above our areas NORM level is enough to cause us concern for their safety. Beta radiation will not likely come in your house enough to be detected on an inside unit as long as your windows and doors are closed. Please see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSiNXBLfzK4

I have an InsepctorEXP and like most geiger counters, mine was calibrated using Caesium-137.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesium-137
I would like to point out that although my Inspector can detect wide ranges of different types of radiation, the dose rate function is only accurate when used on the type of radiation the unit was calibrated with. If any other radiation is present at the same time, it too will be detected and cause the dose rate will be incorrect. Because of that, CPM is the better selection to use when sharing readings with others from geiger counters. CPM is also better when sharing with people in Japan since the US and Japan use different does rate measurements and when using CPM no conversion is needed.

The EPA sites are not using a geiger counter since they have different energy channels. They must be using a scintillation counter type unit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintillation_counter
NETC selected the readings from channel 5 of the EPA sites to use because this is the energy range that Caesium-137 is found within. I assume you already know that Cs-137 is talked about often when speaking about nuclear plant fallout.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:07 am

OK, got it finally. Thanks for all you do!

Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:47 pm

Please,can I measure energy of radiation from 50Kev to 1500Kev by using your GMC-200?
And How I can calibrate it?

Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:41 pm

Welcome to the forum. 8-)

Rather than try to answer all the manufacture questions here, I will refer you to the manufactures website for the GMC-200 and they have their own forum for just these questions.

http://www.gqelectronicsllc.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4527

Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:20 pm
Site Admin

This is a response from Netc.com, how the EPA's information from RADNET works. The EPA must queue each EPA site for the data and then updates their tables every six hours. When new data is available Netc.com server gets the data and displays all the data at once. Netc.com need help to get the EPA to send the data every hour. That is why Netc.com need private Radiation Station to get the data every minute. We must work with the tools that are available and plan on ways to fix the government RADNET system. Harlan@netc.com

Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:55 pm
Site Admin

CPM (counts per minute) is for all radiation ( beta and gamma ) that hits the Geiger counter. If you use REM that is the dose rate of the radiation for cesium-137 which most counter are calibrated. There are other instruments that will separate the gamma radiation to different energy levels, which is what the EPA radnet does.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:59 am

I cant help but notice that over two thirds of the sites on the map are now blacked out, since yesterday. The EPA has shut down several sites on the west coast and I do believe our government is in panic control mode.
Seattle was at radcon-4, San Antonio was at radcon-5 along with Salt Lake city but now, they don't even show up on the map.
There has to be a way to let the public know what's going on. RadNet.gov will not let you look at their data now. this map....THE ONE I JUST SIGNED UP FOR...doesn't even contain the trouble spots we need to know about EVERY HOT SPOT ON THIS MAP WAS BLACKED OUT.

THAT....is friggin criminal man.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:36 am

We have been telling everyone about the GMC-200 for just $85 and NETC gives away the service & software for personal stations off a PC, what more can we do?

If what you are saying is true (Harlan & his programmer are looking in to it) this wouldn't surprise me and we seen it coming. I would only guess that if true, this will cause more people to setup a station either here or through a different online network service.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:10 pm

It looks as though most of the ones which were off earlier are now operational. I am actually appalled at the lack of news coverage over many things right now but, I live in the pacific northwest and the fukushima problem is destined to irradiate our west coast. I read in an article on here about starfish melting. That marine biologist works at the Seattle Aquarium, an awesome spot to visit which is just across the bay from where I was raised in Bremerton, WA.
They are acting like they don't know what is causing the sea-life here to die; I am appalled, I don't believe the people who live on the Puget sound deserve to be left in the dark. (I don't believe anyone deserves to be in the dark about this.)

Fukushima is only part of the problem. Earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, solar activity (all spoken of in the bible, btw) are blowing everyones minds.

I live in central Washington state now. I am 4 hours east of Seattle and this amazes me.
I actually sent e-mails to several news organizations, they all responded by saying they 'were not aware'. I responded by sending them various links to various government organizations which verified everything, (Earthquakes, Fukushima, Volcanoes etc) and they responded by, well, by not responding.

I don't understand, I guess.

OH!!
I did not express my appreciation for this site and to those who run it. Every American should have this map bookmarked. (as long as 'they' let it run. lol)

You guys rock, The Lord Guide you and open your eyes to HIS truth in all of this. Don't forget, HE is sovereign, may HE prepare you for the times ahead, In Jesus Name (B'shem Yeshu'a)

Seattle was at radcon 4 yesterday, our local news said nothing. no channel, no coverage. you almost have to go to news organizations outside the US to even find out what is going on here.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:32 pm

and/also, I am sick and do understand that to most people the $85.00 mentioned above, is not a lot of money. To me it is actually an extravagant amount right now. I should amend that by saying I believe it is a great deal and would actually jump on it if possible but, I can't. However, If there is any other way I can help, technically or whatever, I would be most obliged.

:) thanks

Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next