View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 What is NETC maps all about??? 

Hi Harlan, I am grateful for your efforts to give us some kind of information on this Fukushima situation. I live in San Diego, California, just recently became concerned because of health issues. I remember watching the tsunami devastate the nuclear power plant and our government ignoring the risks here at home.

I've been watching the radiation levels here in San Diego and now monitoring has disappeared. Do you have any info about why that has happened? Thank you.

Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:18 pm
Site Admin

Some of the stations on Netc.com are EPA's stations. The EPA takes down their stations when the radiation rises so they can send their filter to the lab and verify the readings. That is why we say we need more private stations.
Thank you for your comments.
Harlan

Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:31 pm

Why are some monitoring stations reading 10X the levels that other stations have (example 300CPM vs. 30CPM)? Are they averaging over a 10-minute period, or just using a larger Geiger tube? Also, why do those same 10X level stations seem to have a daily cycle of up and down? Are they picking up radiation from the sun? TIA

Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:54 am

Thank you Harlan

Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:15 am

Hi...I just joined today.......and I am very thankful you all are out there......I was told of your site by an electrical engineer.....he also explained to me that a 700 figure will be comparable to 2 chest X-rays......so this may help people to make decisions on "is the level safe"......I don't think receiving 2 chest x rays daily would be a great idea for anyone.....so in my opinion the 700 number is not good....
I hope I communicated well......
I am Very concerned......I am also told that 40% of the air we all breath comes from phytoplankton......in the ocean........think Pacific Ocean......

Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:24 pm
Site Admin

Quote:
Banana Equivalent Dose: 0.1 micro sieverts, is roughly the dose from eating one banana

If you use one banana as our basic unit and convert other radiation exposures to so many bananas.
I have not eat that many banana to verify this data.

Number of bananas equivalent - Type of exposures to radiation:

500 million-Ten minutes next to Chernobyl reactor core after explosion and meltdown
80 million-Fatal dose even with treatment
20 million-Severe radiation poisoning, fatal in some cases
500,000-Maximum legal yearly dose for a US radiation worker
70,000-Chest CT scan
40,000-Ten years of normal background dose, 85% of which is from natural sources
4000-Mammogram
1000-Approximate total dose received at Fukushima Town Hall in two weeks following accident
400-Flight from London to New York
300-Yearly release target for a nuclear power plant
200-Chest X-ray
50-Dental X-ray
1-Eating a banana
0.5-Sleeping with someone

article from BBC

Have a banana and go to BED (Banana Equivalent Dose).

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:16 pm

I recently had a regular dental xray that measured 0.67uSv with my Polimaster 1703.

Here is the best dose chart I have found so far.

https://www.netc.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=71

Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:47 pm
Site Admin

You should have eat 50 bananas, instead of going to the dentist ( ha ha )

Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:38 am

Re questions about 'normal' background levels ....

Seems to me (been years since I used one) that the U.S. Navy publishes Ephemera that details the amount of gamma from outer space for major Longitude/Latitudes all over the planet, corrected for 'time of day' as there
ARE some strong sources out there. In other words, levels fluctuate during the rotational period (24 hours).

Maybe some searching will turn up current data?

Just a thought

Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:32 pm

It seems to me that the readings of the EPA meters versus our Netc GQ3*0 units are consistently very different.. eg. 300CPM (EPA) vs 25CPM (NETC)

I think the maps should more clearly mark which units are EPA versus Netc network - (I know I can tell by the format of the station ID, but that's not very intuitive).

Also, I'm wondering if the Radcon level's take deviation into account based on CPM unit or an overall percentage - because I frequently see EPA detectors with Radcon warnings and have not yet seen a NETC unit with a warning.. For instance, I'm looking at a Radcon 2 with deviation of 28 ( 279 --> 300 CPM), a 10% increase.. Meanwhile this 28CPM deviation would have been more than double the ~25CPM NETC unit's reading..

Do the Radcon levels have different CPM deviation thresholds for EPA vs NETC units? It doesn't look like they do, but they probably should... right?

Thanks for the awesome site! Just figuring things out.

UPDATE: I do see a Radcon 2 on a NETC unit wth deviation of 4.6 ( 21 --> 28CPM ).. so I guess means that it does take into account the different CPM scale of the detectors..(?) Now to further understand the map, perhaps it's dumb, but I want to figure out a way to roughly convert between NETC and EPA CPMs..

Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next