View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 How To Build A Radiation Monitoring Site For Under $100 
Site Admin

Version 1.1 released 12/3/2013

:D Version 1.1 of wapp4netc has just been release. This program is Free and it runs on Window 7 and 8 and other computers too. The program ties a Geiger Counter to a computer. It will run concurrently with RadiationNetwork's GeigerGraph or Blackcatsystems servers. If either server goes down, it will take over and save the data on Netc.com servers where the data is being stored already. Check it out and report any problems or comments to this thread.

The program will run other Geiger Counters that have USB cable that ties between your computer and your Geiger Counter. RadiationNetwork's sells the cable and USB connector for around $35.00 It is included with GQ Electronic's geiger counters: GMC-200 - $85.00 or GMC-300 - $140.00 (our FREE software also works with GMC-300E and GMC-320 model)

Go to http://www.netc.com/software and follow the simple instructions.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:20 pm
Server Admin

Please note that if you do run it at the same time as some other geiger counter software, then our app does not take over until a minute or two after the other software shuts down. You CAN run it at the same time as the other software if you have multiple serial ports and geiger counters hooked up to the computer. We're trying not to confuse people by implying that you can watch the same geiger counter with two different programs at once--that doesn't work, I'm afraid.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:31 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

The next version will have 24 hour graph and bugs fix if any...

Put is your ideas of things you want in this program.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:02 pm
Site Admin

New version .9 released - charts are working and it tracks 3 hours of data.
There is a two minute sync between the Geiger counter and the chart on startup.

Have fun, it is Free :D

Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:45 pm

I took Saturday off work, I can't wait to use this newest version.

The older version worked great for me but who wouldn't like newest version.

Did I mention it was free?

Thanks again! :)

Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:59 pm
Server Admin

The Newest version has been relieased at http://netc.com/software/

We're now at version 1.0! Among other things, this version has better support for older systems as well as new, no longer relying on Internet Explorer/Javascript for charting functions, as well as the ability to set an audible alarm when the reading spikes.

This version should be fully compatible with the full range of geiger counters (we've tested with GMC-200, GMC-300, GM-10, GM-45, Images SI, and several others) as long as they work over a serial or usb port.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:49 pm
Profile WWW

:arrow: Although NETC.com will not sell the GMC-200 ($85) units anymore, GQ Electronics still does:

http://www.gqelectronicsllc.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4527

I own many of the GMC-200 units and they make a great unit for a low cost outside/inside radiation monitoring station. I still believe that if you want to build a low cost outside radiation station and plan on using it on a Holmes HAP242-UC HEPA air purifier like I have done, the GMC-200 is still the best I have found to use. I say that because the GMC-200 is small enough to fit on the face of the air purifier filter intake while leaving enough filter for hot particles to collect around it. This helps to increase the detection of the radiation which in turn makes the pattern/trends more visible in the graphs.

Using the ($85) GMC-200 geiger counter and the FREE Windows PC software from NETC, you easily have a radiation monitoring station for less than $100. Remember that as the station operator, you have access to ONLY your stations chart data. The FREE software can be found here: http://www.netc.com/software/

If you want access to all the other stations chart data, you must subscribe to be a chart member which is currently priced at $19.95 per year. This yearly membership fee helps to cover the bandwidth cost and new feature developments. To help offset monthly bandwidth costs (much of that caused by free viewing of the public map and free hosting of radiation monitoring stations) NETC does have ads on the free public pages. If you see an ad that interests you, please feel free to click on it and know that you are helping to support the networks free features. There are NO ads when viewing the "Chart Member Rad Map"

As with anything else, there are +/- for everything and you need to decide which unit is best for what you want. For example, the GMC-300E and GMC-320 both have an internal memory which in the event of a loss of internet connection those two units will retain all the data and pass it to NETC when the internet connection is restored. When using the Raspberry Pi with the GMC-200, the Raspberry Pi will save the data in the event of a loss of internet and upload the missing data when the internet is restored. If power is lost, only the GMC-300E and GMC-320 will retain the data and this is the main reason that ADMIN "hey" / Harlan decided to no offer the GMC-200 units anymore.

I also own a GMC-300 that I carry around with me everyday as I monitor background radiation levels, an InspectorEXP and Mazur 9000 that I use for rain samples along with field testing. I also own a Polimaster 1703MO-1B that I can use for isotope identification.

Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:48 am
Server Admin

A long time coming, a new version is now released, version 1.1.

This version addresses a few bugs, such as the data spike issue with some geiger counters.

Please go to http://netc.com/software/ to download the new version.

Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:55 pm
Profile WWW

hey wrote:
The next version will have 24 hour graph and bugs fix if any...

Put is your ideas of things you want in this program.

I seen this above, I thought 3 hours was the max a user would be able to use because of how much screen space was available within the program window?

Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:56 pm
Site Admin

the display was to unreadable, so 3 hours is all the display can hold.

Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next