View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 What is NETC maps all about??? 

Ok I am a newbee trying to learn more about the radiation levels since 3-11-11. There seem to be a number of various charts about how much is too much, but none really say anything. So how much is too much under CPM, nano Sieverts, bequeriells? is there a place that says 100 CPM is bad 100 Sieverts is bad--- not sure how to tell what is bad and what is normal. need some guidance. Thanks NB

Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:03 pm

neely226 wrote:
Ok I am a newbee trying to learn more about the radiation levels since 3-11-11. There seem to be a number of various charts about how much is too much, but none really say anything. So how much is too much under CPM, nano Sieverts, bequeriells? is there a place that says 100 CPM is bad 100 Sieverts is bad--- not sure how to tell what is bad and what is normal. need some guidance. Thanks NB

So called experts, those funded by the nuclear industry, seem to say the higher levels are safe. Other experts say all levels are bad. The levels allowed in Japan food & water I understand are less than ours in the U.S. Yes you read that correctly, levels too high for Japan citizens are within legal limits in the U.S.

Bottom line is, less is best. People need to have their own outside unit so they know what a high & low for their area looks like.

This is why NETC is such an important tool. Unfortunately very few (when compared to the U.S. population) have a station setup and even fewer people donate/subscribe to keep NETC funded enough to pay the server/bandwidth costs. I fear that if/when the time comes that NETC shuts down, only then people will wish they donated.

I have been a volunteer since the beginning, I get paid nothing.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:56 am

How do I turn on the map section- without having the yellow pop up window asking me to register? I see the tabs on the right but can't move past them because it doesn't think I'm registered. But I am. Only once was I able to get the page to load my password, which turned out to be incorrect because i have had to change it several times to get on. Help!

Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:55 pm
Site Admin

Have you paid for the chart membership? $19.95 ?

Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:50 pm

Please comment. I see a number of posts regarding Kev. It is my understanding that this gives the range of "particle energies" being measured. Some subatomic particles are nearly massless and some massive. What they have in common, besides not being good for you, is energy. To compare particles of different mass, compare their energy, Rember E=MC2 , the energy units are the same for different particles. This gives the range of the particle energies being counted in the CPM on the counter. One click equals one particle of ?eV. Does this help?

Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:50 pm

Does anyone follow Veterans Today on line? There is a writer following the RADIATION BACK GROUND levels for a number of cities. The articles are titled "Your Radiation Week" and I believe this is week 26. The Highs for the cities are given in CPM, and before I become seriously upset, I would like to vet the site and their sources data? Some of the cities are over 2000 CPM, and there was a significant increase several weeks ago. I have not heard any information via TV or other news outlet regarding a nuclear release to account for the increase. If anyone can provide valid information on this topic it would be appreciated.

Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:19 am

Neely226, yes this stuff can be confusing. CPM, Sieverts, Rads there seems to be an endless number of terms. If my understanding is correct, the amount of biological damage done is proportional to the amount of time spent in a location exposed to a particular radiation level. Once you absorb around 300 Rem, the effects become deterministic. You will get sick, or at least the probability approaches certainty. Below that level the chances decrease. If you think of it like a situation where a machine gun is firing at a target. The machine gun jumps around, and not every round strikes the target. The longer the target remains stationary, more rounds will probably strike the target, to which is associated particular health effects. I hope this analogy aides understanding.

Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:55 am

Wreckraider wrote:
Does anyone follow Veterans Today on line? There is a writer following the RADIATION BACK GROUND levels for a number of cities. The articles are titled "Your Radiation Week" and I believe this is week 26. The Highs for the cities are given in CPM, and before I become seriously upset, I would like to vet the site and their sources data? Some of the cities are over 2000 CPM, and there was a significant increase several weeks ago. I have not heard any information via TV or other news outlet regarding a nuclear release to account for the increase. If anyone can provide valid information on this topic it would be appreciated.

Thanks for the tip.

Since this is off-topic for this thread, I started a new thread for it and posted a link in it to the website you mentioned above.

https://www.netc.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1326

Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:37 pm

I think that's what is called a "Sealed Radioactive Source". Probably for medical imaging or industrial NDT or some such use.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:34 am
Profile ICQ

ShellyMub wrote:
I think that's what is called a "Sealed Radioactive Source". Probably for medical imaging or industrial NDT or some such use.

Are you trying to say you can confirm that the EPA RadNet station in question actually reached that elevated level as a result of a "sealed radioactive source". If you are, that does not make any sense to me how that could happen to the EPA. Can you please elaborate more?

Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next