View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Ham Radio protocol for Netc - when no internet available 

I'm with you all in spirit. Testing Thursday night for a tech license.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:51 pm

Okie dokie, it's official. KC1CIF here. Like the idea of hooking up a PI on battery & solar that can be posted out in remote areas (with property owners' permission of course) and moved around. Would be interested in exactly what equipment you recommend using to incorporate into a standardized kit, EBCFBD32 and everyone. 73's.

Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:54 am

Congratulations on passing your test!

Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:38 pm

Irony of ironies.

After looking into several brands of Ham equipment and the various ham bands instead of a handheld I decided to go after a used rig. Always wanted one but never had the time for it. Most used rigs have been modified and debugged by their owners and have had expensive optional equipment installed. Their fundamental designs haven't changed much over the years. There's a learning curve in picking a good rig and a good mobile antenna, and that's just as important. If your antenna doesn't match up with the frequency bands you plan to transmit on, forget it. The good thing is an aura of mystery no longer surrounds ham radio. There are many groups who will go out of their way to help novices avoid making big mistakes and will hold our hands as we develop our skills.

For a rig initially I had decided to go QRP with a go bag. Translation: ultra low power, compact size that can fit in a knapsack, easy portability. QRPers are a kind of cult. They take a lot of pride in making long distance connections on minimal power using less than 10 watts (called DXing). The Yaesu FT-817 looked like a fun rig. After reviewing that rig I found many preferred the FT-857, a 100 watt mobile rig, because the low power rigs didn't always make quality connections but the 857 could broadcast on 25 watts as well if lower power was the order of the day. Many others preferred the FT-897, another 100 watt mobile. Then came the real guys, the big base station rigs that could pump out from 200 up to 1500 watts and which cost several thousands.

To make a short story long, now came the ironic part. I wanted to know more about Yaesu, the company. Were they Chinese, Korean, Japanese? It turns out they are a Japanese company, and the main factory is located in... the Fukushima Prefectory in a town called Sukagawa, 30 miles from the NPP catastrophe. Oops.

I ended up buying an FT-897d Yaesu on E-bay made in 2007. Should arrive this weekend.

Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:45 am

Grayling Skies wrote:
Irony of ironies.

...To make a short story long, now came the ironic part. I wanted to know more about Yaesu, the company. Were they Chinese, Korean, Japanese? It turns out they are a Japanese company, and the main factory is located in... the Fukushima Prefectory in a town called Sukagawa, 30 miles from the NPP catastrophe. Oops.

I ended up buying an FT-897d Yaesu on E-bay made in 2007. Should arrive this weekend.

Fukushima you say :shock: now that is some interesting information.

8-) Thanks for the share!

Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:01 pm
Site Admin

Danger ! Danger !
One of the prototypes MRU ( Mobile Radiation Unit ) worked. While driving about Hot Springs Arkansas, on Manday 8/11/2014, around 3:00 PM, the MRU radiation jumped from the 20s to 68 at the Post Office of the United States. It stayed high for 3 minutes before the car continue on its journey to Krogers. This is the first time that one of the three prototype MRU pick up a high reading that would trigger an Alert condition and it was at the Post Office. ??????

Attachments:
MRU-081114.jpg
MRU-081114.jpg [ 41.45 KiB | Viewed 124474 times ]
Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:42 am

Many Thanks Grayling Skies,
I have not had a chance to research the best used rig, and Yes QRP is a unique bunch [speaking from experience].
My apologies, I had not logged on earlier to see your question [Sat Jul 26] about my solar setup.
I will freely share info and what little I know, with any one interested.
Email to you now.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:50 am

Hey there, Hey, that is scary. The radiation must drop off logarithmically the farther away from the source, correct? Wonder what the reading was inside the USPS. That almost sounds like a Silkwood scenario.

EBCFBD32, thanks much for the reply. Saw it this morning. My rig arrived at 8 AM and I've been having a ball dissecting the innards and hooking everything up. Got a lot to learn but it will be fun. Almost complete. Still waiting on the antenna. Can't wait to start DXing.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:11 pm
Site Admin

Japan is getting the radiation data out over Ham Radios

Here is a map of Japan's radiation MRUs (Mobile radiation units) that are using the Ham radio to transmit their radiation data. This is great information the Netc.com and will be used in their new webpage that tracks radiation data from mobile units. There are some stations in California and Oregon that are doing the same thing. Stay tune for further developments. Please donate to this cause. Goto MRU on the Netc.com webpage. http://www.netc.com/Radiation%20Equipme ... tible.html

Attachments:
jp-mru-site-2.jpg
jp-mru-site-2.jpg [ 90.7 KiB | Viewed 124436 times ]
JP-mru-sites.jpg
JP-mru-sites.jpg [ 60.86 KiB | Viewed 124436 times ]
Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:02 am

How is the radio project coming along. I am interested in setting up a ham or GMRS radio to transmit hourly rad reports much like the time clock on some radio freqs. I have both 2 meter and GMRS base available putting out 50 watts and several Baofengs mod 5 thru 82t hat can be used, just don't know how to get the info onto the air. I tend to lean to GMRS, not because it is the best, but because more people have access locally. Is there anyone on this forum who knows what equipment it would take to do this, or at least know where the information can be obtained. If we cannot get national coverage at this time, a local broadcast would be a step forward.

Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next