View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 New Station: Billings, Montana #EBAD132F 

GMC300 Plus w/Pi, located inside for now but will be placed outside with solar power if it ever stops snowing. Needed something in town to offset the high readings from local EPA unit and be prepared for when Hanford decides to make a mess of things. New at this but learning. Glad to be part of the pack. Using GMC 320 as travel unit.

Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:02 pm

Your readings are greatly appreciated, thank you.

Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:18 pm

Glad to help. I am having some trouble connecting wirelessly to my router, the pi keeps attaching itself to the neighbor's open network even though I disable the open network search option. Am going to retry a complete setup this weekend as time permits. Can't be that hard to figure out.

Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:19 pm

Glad to see another MT station coming online...
I run the same set-up, inside a shed - very near the roof, over here by Whitehall and we have another up near the ID panhandle border in Trout Creek.
This unit uses very small/little bandwidth...don't think your neighbor would even notice if it decides it like's his network better than yours, eh?... You might need to get a sack of "sweet COB" and lure the little Pi back, eh?...

NOW...can someone up in the Oil Patch corner please put a system online? That would give us a 4-corner coverage with good separation... Check-6

Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:24 pm

Not sure what is going on here in Billings. It seems that my GMC-300 detector shows warmer than usual on map. Generally averages 17cpm but is "surging" up and down between 17 and 31 approx. I took out my 320 to check and it too is surging between 14 and 32. Right now they are about 30 feet apart in my living room. Am taking the 320 outside to see if the variations are apparent out there. Will let you know what I find.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:47 pm

Went to spaceweather.com and found the following:

"WEEKEND GEOMAGNETIC STORM: High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras on June 8th and 9th as Earth passes through the wake of a CME, which struck on June 7th. Initially, the CME's impact was was weak, but as the 7th turned into the 8th a G2-class geomagnetic storm developed, sparking auroras across Canada and many northern-tier US states. "For about 10 minutes the pinks were just incredible," says Justin Phillips, who sends this picture from New Auburn, Wisconsin:. . . ."

My guess is that I am picking up the aurora pulses. Is anyone on the northern tier getting short term spikes.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:48 pm

When questioning spikes it is always good to consider the areas precipitation since we know radiation travels easily with it. That is also worth noting in posts here when d :x having discussions about elevated levels.

Thank you all for your continued real-time data!

Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:58 am

I need some troubleshooting help. My system is using the 300E +pi to sent to the network. I noticed that my readings seemed lower than they should be and brought out my 320 plus. The 300E is trending at around 15 and the 320 is trending 28. They are located 4 inches apart. I sent an email to gqelectronics to see if there are any issues. Has anyone else run into similar problem?

Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:21 pm
Site Admin

We design the software to handle this type of problem, each GC unit sets its own background radiation level and compares it to the current radiation level. This way it does not matter what type of unit you are using, all units have their own BRL ( background radiation level ) range.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:54 am

Thank you. We are going downtown Billings with our 320 and check the area around the EPA detector to see if we can detect anything. Will let you know what we find.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next