View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 RadiationNetwork vs NETC CPM Comparison 

The following article reports a perhaps interesting, although crude, analysis of the data from maps on two radiation monitoring web sites:

http://jameskeene.blogspot.com/2015/10/ ... rison.html

[Note: I was going to post the whole article here but it seems images can be included only if they have a URL to retreive them.]

Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:03 pm

Thanks for the link to that blog story. While the author appears to try and be fair to both Radiation Network and NETC in the analysis, the author does not have a clear enough understanding to make a comparison.

For the record, my InspectorEXP was on Radiation Network for over two years before I retired the InspectorEXP from 24 hour monitoring. I am still a member of Radiation Network (inactive) but as long as NETC is online, I do not need to use RN. My GMC-200 outside on the HEPA air filter does a better job than my InspectorEXP did in the house. The GMC-200 has a sealed tube and has been outside in a ziplock bag for two years now in the weather 24/7. My InspectorEXP wouldn't handle that abuse. I save my InspectorEXP for close inspection of stuff only when needed. The owner of NETC has a great understanding of RN too, we first became acquainted on RN through the live chat before NETC was created.

NETC is not well understood by many. Some of that could be the confusion because many of the sites on NETC are actually real-time data from official EPA radiation (beta & gamma) monitoring sites.

Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:31 pm

My NETC stations readings are per minute readings (unlike what this author states) you need to be a paid subscriber for the per minute readings. Most if not all of RN stations are located inside where the use of beta geiger counters are nearly worthless since beta radiation will not likely make it in to the house in levels to be detected. I would like to see everyone setup an outside HEPA air purifier radiation monitoring station like I have. There are a few other users that have setup a station like mine and I'm so greatful for that. These station truly work as a radiation early warning detection station.

I do not have time currently to go in to detail about all the differences and advantages of NETC over RN, although they have been explained in detail throughout many existing threads already in the forum.

Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:42 pm

King Cobra wrote: "the author does not have a clear enough understanding to make a comparison."

My article reported empirical observations (otherwise known as science) where the only understanding required is what science is and some basics of statistics. E.g., the average 6 CPM difference reported is a fact which may be of interest to some. To detect this fact requires no understanding whatsoever beyond elementary scientific method and statistical analysis. "Understanding" gets into interpretation of the facts and maybe theory. That is for the reader to pursue, as I limited the "discussion" section to very brief points.

Hopefully this will clarify the role of "understanding" in science, namely it is not necessary before observations begin. The total understanding required is only 1) how to collect data and 2) how to summarize it (histograms, t-tests, etc). Whew, surprise, surprise. I didn't expect my post would lead to a tutorial on what empirical observation is! Example: an astronomer reports star 1 is twice the diameter of star 2. This is a valid research report. Understanding is not required, just the ability to make and report the measurements.

Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:57 pm

King Cobra wrote: "My NETC stations readings are per minute readings (unlike what this author states) you need to be a paid subscriber for the per minute readings."

With all due respect (I like your data reports!), wrong again on two counts:
1. My NETC readings are like yours, namely CPM, which is what I reported.
2. You do not have to be a paid subscriber to get this information. To wit, click on a station icon and the text reports last CPM and ten minute average of CPM among other information like location, details of the monitor, etc.

I might add that my little research article was not intended to compare the quality of RadiationNetwork and NETC maps. However, the careful reader would probably realize that the NETC site is superior in many respects. For example, nothing happens when you click on a RadiationNetwork station icon -- you only have the last CPM which bounces all over the place. On NETC, you get the data, station information and the ten minute CPM average and more...

Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:08 pm

I was not trying to be hurtful, but rather helpful. Please do not take offense to my previous posts. What I was trying to point out is that a clear understanding of the stations being compared has to happen first in order to get statistics that are fair to compare. Just one of those would be inside vs. outside CPM readings even if we can assume that the units are the same make & model.

Sorry, I was very limited on how much time I had to reply previously so I might not have worded my previous reply properly. Thanks again for sharing your blog post and most of all, your stations real-time data with the world.

Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]