View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Geiger Counters and software. 

I am curious about Geiger counters compatible with this software. I build geiger counters for a living in many flavors, engineered from scratch. The latest one i slapped together today simply output an integer through the serial port as a reading, which worked perfectly with the software provided by this website(I figured it would). But as i read on about the algorithms for alerts etc, i got to thinking that perhaps the software was tailored to the specific sensitivity of the counters sold here? mine are typically very sensitive because i use LND-7313 pancakes with fast sampling(>100kBq). My question is this: Is there any problem if i use my own hardware?

Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:24 pm

Wow, not to be a dick... but, plenty of folk on here don't really know wtf they are talking about..I am beginning to think i might be devoting time in a place i should not.,...

Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:40 pm

The software that the server runs is not actually tailored to any specific detector type, but it bases the colours and alerts simply on past values from the same site. All radiation detectors show a similar variation over time with a more or less constant background, but significant rises above past readings are what this site shows. The color coded circles show smaller increases quickly, and the square alerts are issued when the level exceeds the past 3 months' range (though I don't know the detailed algorithmic conditions). These alerts can be emailed, and it's comforting to know there is an automated system telling me if a nearby site has a sudden rise. As for the forum, I would say most regulars are pretty knowledgeable.

Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:19 pm

Thanks for the reply Bert490, in that case, Hopefully I will have 2 stations roughly 35 miles apart up and running within the next 3 weeks after I finish Benchmarking this last design.

Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:25 am

@Bert490 - 8-) Thank you again!

Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:14 am

Necronum wrote:
Thanks for the reply Bert490, in that case, Hopefully I will have 2 stations roughly 35 miles apart up and running within the next 3 weeks after I finish Benchmarking this last design.

This is great news. Is there any chance that you will be setting up one or more of these stations outside with a HEPA air purifier setup to better detect the radiation? That is the way my station is setup. You can read more about it here in the posting that I update every time I do any maintenance to my station. I also update the thread as I notice elevated readings on my station to help others know what I believe the cause might be. I own several other geiger counters (InspectorEXP, Mazur 9000, GMC 300, GMC 320+ and many GMC 200 units) to verify my readings to.

Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:21 am

Damn KingCobra, i am only 30 miles away from you in Edgerton WI lol, i am going to set up one here and another in sun prairie. I have no intention on using an air filter because i do not see the benefit of it, enlighten me with an argument as to why i should do that, because i am open to suggestion. my reason for not using one is for the purpose of sensitivity, i want raw material uninhibited to pass through the field of detection to maximize the average cps and thus resolution. I am new to this site so i do not know the ins and outs yet, but i work with radioactive material everyday and my employer requires precision and accuracy(I build detection systems for coal fired power plants, IPL, Alliant, TVA, paradise, MGE). Why do you filter?

Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:25 pm
Site Admin

Let me help you decide what we already learned from the EPA, their stations are located outside in a stand alone box with air filters the captures the radiation dust. When their station fails and they take it offline, the EPA removes the filter and sends it to the lab to find out what type of radiation was detected. This is why King Cobra and I use outside air filters. Without the filters the radiation passes through the GC to fast to get any rise that is detectable. Each station is independent from all other stations in the data that Netc.com collects, so you can set up your station anyway you desire.

Harlan, Netc.com

Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:56 pm

Thanks Hey, I understand what you are doing with the filters now, that is a good idea, perhaps i will do that too.

Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:05 am

:D Thanks Harlan for the reply.

I've had a busy weekend here and failed to check the board until now.

Here is a link to a 2013 post with information that I collected on this topic too:

https://www.netc.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=505&p=2843#p2843

Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next